If you’re a child of the ‘90s like me, the words “chain necklace” can induce some pretty awful images. For instance, the chunky herringbone chain that accompanied hideous then, hilarious now color-block ‘fits. My personal fave was my turquoise, hot pink and purple windbreaker suit!
Jealous? I know!
Well, 2009 has revitalized the chunky chain, but no worries, tartelettes! Keds are no longer required. Instead, you can count on some of the hautest names in the jewelry game- Michael Kors, Max&Chloe and Kenneth Jay Lane!
Still scared of the possibility of looking like a Naughty By Nature video extra? Mimi’s platform for chain to the rescue!
1. Allow the chain to be the showstopper of your look. Yes, Mimi, the queen of costume over-consumption is telling you to go with one statement piece!
2. Wear casual or dressy with the same joie de vivre! Jeans and a white tee? Rock it, don’t stop it! Tailored suit at the office? Hellllo, edgy workin’ girl!
3. Go chunky or go home! Shy away from extra ornamentation, so that your necklace can be funky, yet super versatile.
4. Never be afraid to mix metals. Gold&silver are the new PB&J. Just think of it as an awesome 2-for-1 during this tough economy.
5. Keep the retro influences to a minimum. No need for ‘90s chain, ‘80s bold shoulder and ‘70s platforms! We’re borrowing from the past, not dressing as a “Fashion Through the Years” museum exhibit.
All right, tartelettes, I think you’re ready to join the chain gang! Link up