Archive for December, 2009
When accepting a gift it’s always important to remain thankful. In this awkward moment try your best to uphold your manners—no glimpse of shock or horror. Stay classy. After asking around for some tips from some true masters of animated appreciation I have narrowed it down to 3 easy steps:
Step 1: Know your audience. Show your appreciation and make it look real, even if you feel your taste is way better.
Step 2: The wrong expression can hurt the feelings of the giver. Although you can’t seem to come to any conclusion as to why they bought this for you, give them the benefit of the doubt (they bought this picturing your excitement). So be just that, surprised and excited.
Step 3: Always smile & always say thank you. Even ask where they got such a “unique & thoughtful” gift (in your head you can picture yourself at the return counter).
Now, I know these may be easier said than done. Just remember, it’s the season of generosity—it can always be worse.
Just in time for the holidays tarte teamed up with Coco Eco Magazine to partake in Fred Segal’s Sustainable Shopping Event to benefit Toy’s For Tots! tarte’s own fabulous makeup artist, Tracy Davis provided tarte holiday makeovers for the very chic and stylish ladies of LA. Tracy even gave the event’s host, green celeb Rachel Leigh Cook, a gorgeous tarte evening look! For more event coverage check out Greenopia & if you feel like getting glam, head to tarte’s YouTube Chanel for a step-by-step holiday tutorial!
This holiday season make a change—gift beyond your family & friends. Look for products that donate a portion (or all) of proceeds to a worthy cause. I’m trying to make a conscious effort to choose items that help make it merry for everyone! What’s that saying again? Oh yes, “Tis better to give than receive.” Here are some ideas to get you started!
- The FEED 3 Bear is made from 100% plush organic cotton and natural burlap. This snuggle buddy is perfect for your little one and like all FEED products—it’s their goal to sell as many FEED 3 bears as possible to FEED and educate the world’s 400 million hungry children. “Nut,” the FEED 3 bear, will provide Plumpy’Nut® for 3 children through Industrial Revelation.
- tarte’s t5™ super fruit complex is found in many products including our cult fave, natural cheek stain. With the purchase of any tarte product containing t5™, tarte will donate proceeds to the Sustainable Amazon Partnership (SAP)—helping to preserve the Amazon Rainforest through forest stewardship, improved living conditions and educational opportunities for communities in Brazil.
- The Retro Green Scooter is a sleek ride for any 3-to-5 year old & proceeds from every purchase are donated to St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital.
- For the stylista, the ‘Nana’ ring from H.E.L.P’s Panthera Collection is a generous gift that benefits nutritional education in Malawi.
- My personal favorite is from Heart U Back. Their cord adjustable bracelet (think very Links of London) comes in a ton of colors (I picked up red) and mixes in perfect with the rest of your stackables. The best part, Heart U Back promises $125,000 in proceeds to the ASPCA.
Whether it’s your father, brother, son, husband or boyfriend, it’s always tough to get that special guy in your life the perfect gift. Most men just don’t light-up in surprise over another new tie, set of cufflinks or sweater the same way us ladies go ga-ga over jewelry, bags & makeup. That being said I’ve tried my very best to bring you a few great gifts for all those guys in your life. I guarantee that he’ll love you even more for them!
1. This is not another button-down. It’s a tailored ‘washed-favorites’ from J-crew. I say if he has to wear one everyday it might as well feel like his favorite tee.
2. From skate shops and Barney’s New York to the pages of Nylon Men, Men’s Journal & GQ, Nixon men’s watches are a must-have! Pick up the Chrono 51-30 (see above) or the rotolog (he’ll thank you for it).
3. John Varvatos Vintage cologne—simply put, he’ll smell amazing!
4. You can’t go wrong with tickets to see his favorite team or band!
5. Nothing beats the sound of his ipod on a BOSE dock. If you’re feeling extra nice, then snag him a pair of high-def headphones, too.
All that glitters…I’m in love with it all! I have touched on the sequin trend in the past, but this holiday season sparkle seems to appear everywhere. From leggings and tuxedo jackets to tarte lipglosses, what better way to be completely festive than with some extra shimmer to turn heads. I spent some quality time ravaging through the options and picked out my faves. Whomever you are buying for this year (even if it’s treating yourself) reach for one of these totally gorgeous, totally dazzling finds!
Tarte crown jewels lipgloss set (dazzling divas) $39
Express sequin leggings $98
Trina Turk ‘Kathleen’ sequin cardigan $223
Kate Spade “El Morocco LauraLee’ sequin bag $375
DKNY ‘Sweetheart’ dress $375
Erica Anenberg Twosome™ ring $144
Something happened to me during a mid-winter jaunt to the West Coast earlier this year…something strange and unexpected that I couldn’t have seen coming for a million style miles. Don’t worry, tartelettes, I’m just talking about socks. “Socks?” you ask. Yep, I fell head over heels-literally-for these foot fashions. I was at the Juicy Couture store on the crazy-chic Colorado Blvd, and on a whim, picked up a pair of knee-high JC socks. They were inexpensive, full of cute Juicy scribbles and just plain fun! I rocked them over black leggings with Cali-girl chicness on the plane back home.
Well, that one moment turned me- the girl who has stolen socks from every roommate she’s ever had- to a certified sock seeker. My Juicy collection is nearing double digits, and this season’s mags and catalogs are forcing my eyes…and toes towards other brands and style. I can’t wait to try J.Crew’s bobby variety or Urban Outfitter’s over the knee stripes. And Free People’s lace thigh-highs? Well, we all know how Mimi feels about the lacy stuff.
If you’re worried about looking like a “Three’s Company” reject, just follow Mimi’s tips for a successfully stylish sock-hop.
•Tube Toss—Unless they have “Juicylicious,” “From Juicy with Love” or any other cheeky Pam&Gela saying , leave the high-white tube variety in the gym.
•Grown-Girl-Chic— Though the whole knee-socks trend is a riff on the classic catholic schoolgirl look, no need to look like a GossipGeek. Strut your sock-style with the panache and confidence of someone with a past tense relationship with high school.
•Dare to Bear— Don’t go to all the trouble of buying adorable socks just to hide them under boots or pants. Show off those quirky Juicy-isms; sweet, but sassy bow details; and sparkling sequin embellishments! Unsure how to stage a sock show? The J.Crew catalog offers some awesome inspiration!
All right, tartelettes, cover those tootsies in something chic and get a-hoppin’!