Archive for November, 2010
Holidays, weekends, Mondays and every day: I’m a fan of curls! Big, bouncy, glamorous curls and beachy-waves, I’ll take it all! Dressed up or down, curls can be both polished and sexy. To be honest, I actually think I walk a little taller when my hair is Gisele-curled. Over the past 10 years I’ve tried every tool on the market (literally) & finally mastered my style with a BaByliss 1 ¼” curling iron…until now! During one of my recent trips to QVC with Maureen, I was chatting with Maria McCool, owner and stylist of the chic Calista Salon. Being as curl obsessed as I am, she gave me the sneak peak of the yet-to-be-released Ion Hot Rollers. Throughout the years, Maria has featured some incredible hair products on QVC, but these Ion Hot Rollers are something else! Safe to say it was love at first sight and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on them. In the words of Mr. Trump, “YOU’RE FIRED (BaByliss)!”
Prior to Maria giving me the inside scoop, I was already a fan of her techniques and the salon. In fact, Monica, one of her stylists, cut my hair in the past—love her! So yesterday you can imagine how excited I was when a package arrived for me! And I couldn’t help but hit the blog to boast about them and my fabulous waves. The rollers exclusive launch will be on QVC tomorrow, 11/20 at 10:00pm EST. And believe me, you must tune in!
So, what makes these different than your average drugstore set you ask? Well, I am more than happy to share. Calista’s Ion hot rollers use Creat Ion Technology which means that the actual plastic is created with 32 different minerals that are baked together to create the outer shell (most iconic tools only coat the top layer of the curler). These minerals infuse the hair with shine, body, volume & fullness (check out my video on tarte TV for a demo!). The core of the curler houses a PTC heater which allows the entire roller to heat itself instead of sitting in a base with hot metal rods. Additionally, the set comes with 12 hot rollers, 6 of which are twice the length of a traditional roller. Translation: Long-haired girls rejoice because you can finally have a curler that will deliver a full curl root to tip. I can go on all day about why every beauty aficionado needs these, but here’s just a few more reasons: no burnt fingers, no product lifetime, 3-minute heating time and most importantly quick & easy bouncy locks!
For more details and demos from the hair guru herself, watch QVC Saturday night at 10pm to see Maria. I’m sure you’ll end up checking out with more than just these curlers. While you’re at it stay tuned because Maureen is up on the Q right after Maria with some amazing tarte goodies.
It’s that time of year: holiday work parties, friendly gatherings and New Year’s toasts! We’re now penciling them into our December calendars and sorting through our wardrobes. This year there are even more sequins, lux velvets and faux furs to wear. In addition to adding some sparkle to your outfit, I always recommend statement makeup! With so many festive soirees to attend, I thought this would be the perfect time to share one of my favorite holiday looks. I’m loving this dark romantic look I came across in the December pages of Flare Magazine. Bold lip choices were huge for all of 2010, and this deep wine lip is a gorgeous way to finish off the year. I love that it’s paired with a soft and subtle smokey eye. This dark and romantic look is quite simple to recreate and super wearable from office to office party. Here’s a quick how-to:
- Hide those dark circles and even skin tone with your favorite complexion products (try: dark circle defense, smooth op tinted-moisturizer)
- Choose a neutral shadow and wash all over the eyelid (try: lock&roll 12-hr eye shadow in sandstone)
- Blend matte brown shadow into the crease of the eye and run along the bottom lash line (try: the royal collection holiday palette)
- Brighten inner eye corners and inner rims with a highlighter & nude liner (try: rest assured brightening wand)
- Curl and coat lashes (try: picture perfect holiday curler & lights, camera, lashes! 4-in-1 natural mascara)
- Finish with a deep berry lip tint (try: LipSurgence™ natural lip tint in moody; if lips are chapped from the winter air, prep with fRxtion lip exfoliator and balm)
Hot for Holidays! Tarte asked professional lifestyle photographer Tamara Lackey for her tips on how to look your best in photographs this season.
The holiday season presents opportunities galore for photo taking and we all want to look our best in the moment. As a photographer, I’m used to throwing out hints to my subjects about how they can look better in front of the camera and teaching them simple tips and tricks to get picture-ready. And the great thing about helping you tartlettes look your best in photographs is that there are so many awesome tarte cosmetics that can help step up your look through a camera lens! Day-to-day – and definitely at photo shoots – I’m never caught without the aqua-gel eyeliner, LipSurgence lip tint stick (I’m a “Moody” lover), and the mineral powder bronzer that I cannot live without.
- Whichever products are your favorite, be sure to carry something to help brighten your eyes, cheeks and lips – even a quick re-apply will help brighten your face and help you look fresh in pictures.
- For events that you know will have a lot of photo action, opt for matte finish. Shine is exaggerated by the small but super bright point-and-shoot camera flash and even a little bit of “glow” can end up looking oily.
- If you’re applying lip-gloss right before a photo, try to rub your lips together a bit or even blot them slightly with a napkin. Extra-shiny lips can look be overly reflective and look distracting with flash.
- Smooth don’t scrunch your hair! The instinct is to fluff up but this often makes hair look messy. Run a smooth hand over your hair for a put together look!
- When standing, do some creative posing for the most flattering results. Here’s a few suggestions:
- Always stand at an angle to the camera with one foot crossed in front of the other
- A hand on the waistline can also help create definition
- I always have my subjects stick their chin out and down just a hint. It might feel a bit awkward, but this will give you great facial definition for any photo taken from the front
- Lean forward slightly at the waist also and definitely avoid leaning backwards! It will make a world of difference
- Choose timeless over trendy when selecting an outfit. Avoid anything with a lot of logo’s or anything that is so “it this moment” that when the moment passes the photo will look dated.
Now that you’re ready for this holiday seasons photo taking opportunities, I am also excited to offer a giveaway to 3 tartelettes who chime in with their own great ideas on how to take photographs that your friends won’t want to de-tag later! We’ll select three winners and send them each a Tamara Lackey’s Capturing Life Through (Better) Photography Gift Set, with our new DVD, Book, and On-the-Go Quick Reference Guide. Feel free to keep it for yourself or give it away as a gift.
What are some of your ideas?
Tamara Lackey is a professional lifestyle photographer with more than a decade of experience capturing life’s moments beautifully. Also a long-time vegetarian and animal-lover, Tamara uses Tarte in support of our mission to create cosmetics that cause no harm to animals and contain no synthetic dyes or added fragrance.
*Need a great add on gift for someone getting a new point and shoot camera or SLR, this Holiday season? ”Tamara Lackey’s, Capturing Life Through (Better) Photography” DVD and book will show them how to turn their everyday snapshots into little works of art. On the go? The quick reference guide and iPhone App will show you tips and tricks fast when you are photographing on the move.
It’s November and that means time to meet a new artist whose work makes us go gaga! Introducing… Amy Nadine! Not only have I always been a fan of her work (I’ve replicated Lauren Conrad’s cat eye & pink lip combo on numerous occasions), but after chatting with her I realized this creative genius also has a heart of gold. If she isn’t glamming-up some of Hollywood’s prettiest faces, then she’s bringing attention to rescue dogs that desperately need a loving home (that’s her pup Sprewell featured above!). Amy & I began working together when she used tarte’s LipSurgence™ in lust on Krysten Ritter for the premiere of Get Him to The Greek. Currently, as the Head of the Makeup Department, Amy has the cast of BFF & Baby addicted to tarte’s LipSurgence™, too. Check out Amy’s Q+A above and browse her website here: http://www.amynadine.com/. She is sure to impress.