Archive for May, 2012
Talk about a match made in heaven. When we stumpled upon Untamed Petals’ Pinterest boards, we knew we’d met our accessories soulmate. In fact, after we reached out to Untamed Petals, we discover that founder Amanda Judge and tarte communications and marketing director Candace wore wedding dresses so similar, it looked like they had coordinated.
We knew a great collaboration was in the works…
Some brides opt for traditional and elegant, while others take an edgy route. Some brides wouldn’t be caught dead in anything but a white wedding gown, while some are more than willing to mix it up with a flash of color. When it comes to tying the knot, there are no hard and fast rules, but one thing everyone can agree on that a great playlist is a must for a memorable reception.
With that in mind, we’ve put together the ultimate wedding playlist, for every mood, every moment and every memory in the making.
To walk down the aisle: Moon River, Instrumental, George Winston
When it comes to summer essentials, there are really only a handful of key items: a good SPF, a killer swimsuit, comfy sandals, and, of course, sunglasses. Once the temps top out, sunnies are a tried and true summer must-have, so why not sport a pair that does as much good for the earth as it does for your eyes?
Here, a selection of brands that manufacture cute shades with a conscience.
Warby Parker’s frames are not only affordable and chic, but your purchase of a pair goes to a good cause: for every set they sell, the company donates a pair of prescription glasses to someone in need.
These handcrafted wooden sunglasses are so different and cool, we’re about to buy a pair ourselves. They’re handmade in Portland, from sustainable wood sourced responsibly from Africa.
Blue Planet uses only recycled or reclaimed frames, along with lead-free paints and nickel-free metals, so you can wear these shades without them weighing on your conscience!
In Modo’s new eco-friendly eyewear line, each pair is made with 95% recycled materials – the first eyewear company to boast such rigorous standards.
Of course, our go-to girl for eco-friendly fashion has some great shades, all made from over 50% natural materials.
Hey there tartelettes, the grill will be hot, the sun will be out, and you’ll probably have a good grasp on something cold and refreshing this Memorial Day — but what about tunes? We’ve put together a goof proof playlist to make sure — regardless of where you’re celebrateing — the vibe is good and everyone is dancing. Have fun and be safe!
Boat party? Turn up Starships by Nicki Minaj.
Summer night rooftop jam? Try The Wanted, Glad You Came.
Oh attending a BBQ? We suggest a little Snoop Dog and Whiz Khalifa, Young, Wild, and Free.
Camping in the great outdoors? Animal kingdom, Strange Attractor should help you become one with nature.
But if you’re planing on spending this Memorial Day at the beach, why not go old school? We’re partial to beach party classic Surfin’ USA, by the Beach Boys.
Who doesn’t like a good sailor striped tee? Nautical style and ocean-bound looks never seem to go out of fashion, and they’re most appropriate for summertime. Here are a few ways you can add some maritime splash to your wardrobe – whether or not you’re spending your summer on a boat.
A classic blue-and-white stripe immediately conjures up visions of a fancy yacht on the French Riviera. Get in the mood with a striped t-shirt, like this one from J.Crew.
The name says it all. Channel your inner sailor with the old-school canvas version from Sperry.
pops of coral-red
Accessorize your look with a splash of lobster red. Nothing looks fresher when paired with a nautical palette of blues and whites. Try a red belt or bag – or go the easiest, prettiest route with a bright coral-red lip, courtesy tarte’s LipSurgence lip tint in Spirited.
Gold chain jewelry is a mainstay among the yachting set. Regardless of your yacht-owning status, you can still dress the part! We love this simple bracelet from Michael Kors.
No sailor-ette would be caught dead without a bikini on hand- like this sweet anchor-print one from Lilly Pulitzer. A well-chosen two-piece can add a little chic to any seafaring vessel, regardless of its size or capabilities.
The new show Girls has caught the fascination of men and women of all ages since it premiered this spring. This blogger, personally, is a fan – I love the realness of the girls’ relationships, both with their male counterparts and each other.
One of the best parts of watching the show has been discovering up-and-comer Allison Williams. Yes, she’s the daughter of newsman Brian Williams, but she’s turning out to be a star in her own right. She’s a multi-talented actress (did you see her hilarious turn as Kate Middleton on Funny or Die?) – and she’s got killer style.
Whether in a stunning hot pink gown or an amazing pair of sparkly trousers, Williams has consistently wow’ed us so far. (That amazing head of hair doesn’t hurt.) We’re looking forward to seeing what she does next!
overall inspiration: “I wanted to keep Carly’s boho, rocker feel with shimmering cheeks, but add a vintage glam twist with a rich, dark lip.” –makeup artist Desirae Cherman for tarte
- Desirae prepped Carly’s skin with tarte’s clean slate flawless™ 12-hr brightening primer.
- Then she mixed tarte’s Amazonian clay 12-hour full coverage foundation with Broad Spectrum SPF 15 with tarte’s Amazonian clay illuminating serum and buffed it into Carly’s skin with tarte’s airbrush finish bamboo foundation brush to create a luminous glow.
- She set Carly’s look in place with tarte’s Amazonian clay finishing powder.
- To give Carly a sunkissed glow, she used tarte’s Amazonian clay mineral powder bronzer in park ave princess, then swirled tarte’s cheek stain in loving (available at Ulta in July) on the apples of her cheeks, followed by a dusting of tarte’s Amazonian clay shimmer powder in champagne along the tops of her cheekbones and cupid’s bow to create extra radiance.
- Desirae prepped her lids with tarte’s clean slate 360 creaseless™ 12-hr smoothing primer.
- Then she brushed a soft wash of shimmering golden peach from tarte’s neutralEYES eye shadow palette volume II onto Carly’s lids.
- To add further definition, she applied tarte’s Amazonian clay waterproof cream eyeshadow in shimmering bronze in her creases and along the outer corners of her lids.
- To make her eyes pop, she lined her upper and lower lashlines with tarte’s smolderEYES™ Amazonian clay waterproof liner in golden black, blending the color onto her lids and just slightly past the corners.
- For extra volume Desirae applied two coats of tarte’s lights, camera, lashes!™ clinically-proven 4-in-1 mascara.
- To ensure Carly’s vintage-glam look, Desirae swiped tarte’s LipSurgence™ matte lip tint in envy on to give her pout a rich hue.
overall inspiration: ”To complement her Jean Paul Gautier tuxedo dress, we wanted to keep Miley’s makeup fresh with a dewy cheek and summer peach lip: Brigitte Bardot meets bronze goddess.” – makeup artist Denika Bedrossian for tarte
- For a flawless complexion, she smoothed tarte’s Amazonian clay 12-hour full coverage foundation with Broad Spectrum SPF 15 with tarte’s airbrush finish bamboo foundation brush over her skin.
- Then she brushed on tarte’s Amazonian clay matte waterproof mineral powder bronzer in park ave princess, and highlighted her cheekbones with tarte’s maracuja blush & glow brightening luminizer and cheek tint in sunlight.
- To brighten her cheeks, she buffed tarte’s cheek stain in tipsy onto the apples of her cheeks.
- To keep her look in place, she then dusted tarte’s Amazonian clay finishing powder over her t-zone.
- To create Miley’s sultry eyes, she used tarte’s Amazonian clay waterproof cream eyeshadow in shimmering moss as a base, then layered tarte’s Amazonian clay waterproof cream eyeshadow in shimmering bronze over top and blended up into her creases.
- Under the brow, she dusted matte pink cashmere shadow from tarte’s neutralEYES eyeshadow palette volume 2 to brighten her arches.
- To enhance her lashes, she drew tarte’s smolderEYES™ Amazonian clay waterproof eyeliner in bronze along her upper and lower lashlines.
- She finished with several coats of tarte’s gifted™ Amazonian clay smart mascara on the top and bottom lashes.
- To enhance her coloring, she created a summery peach lip by adding tarte’s LipSurgence™ lip luster in glisten, then topped it with a mix of tarte’s maracuja divine shine lip gloss in tipsy and adored.
Happy Friday, tartelettes! What do you all have planned for this weekend? A girls’ night? A celebration? Maybe… a hot date?
If your night-off plans include the latter, then this post is for you! Last week we covered eco-friendly bathing suits, now’s the time for an even sexier item of green clothing: sustainable lingerie.
We’ve found a few amazing brands that perfectly balance romantic with earth-friendly. These pieces are just as gorgeous – (if not more so – many are hand-made to order!) – as the mainstream brands. You’ll surely love them for their sustainable ethos. Your date however, may be too distracted to care.
Stella McCartney – one of our ever-present, ethical faves! The girl knows what “sexy” is.
R.A.W lingerie is made of sweet pieces that have been naturally hand-dyed by the line’s founder, Rio Wrenn.
Urban Fox is our latest and greatest discovery: “All of our undies and undie sets are designed, dyed and sewn by hand from machine-processed bamboo and organic cotton blends in the U.S.A.” Organic, check; sustainable, check; domestic, check! Oh, and don’t forget: irresistible.
Eberjey has long been known for their flattering cuts and supremely soft materials. Now, they’ve launched a lovely eco-line, which includes such stunners as this teddy, made from bamboo jersey.
For a sweetly sustainable slumber, People Tree has you covered – we love their Rose Slip Dress, made from 100% organic Fair trade cotton.
The weather is warming up and pretty soon you’ll have no choice but to pull on a pair of short shorts, wear a belly-bearing top, or hit the street in a sleeveless tank.
Whether you’re a born jock or scrambling to follow a fitness routine for the sake of a summer-ready body, nothing can amp you up for a workout faster than pretty and flattering new gym clothes. Here, we’ve taken the guesswork out of fitness apparel shopping. Swap out your old sweats, get your heart rate pumping and face summer fearlessly.
Work it, girl!