“Her dress faded from black to burgundy, so I took the colors from her dress and incorporated them into a colorful cat eye — it completely lit up her gorgeous green eyes.” -Terri Apanasewicz, celebrity makeup artist
* To begin, Terri used tarte’s smooth operator™ Amazonian clay waterproof concealer under her eyes, then applied tarte’s Amazonian clay 12-hour full coverage foundation with Broad Spectrum SPF 15, with tarte’s new airbrush finish bamboo foundation brush.
* Then she dusted Amazonian clay bronzer in park ave princess under her cheekbones to contour the hollows of her cheeks.
* For the perfect pop of color she brushed on tarte’s Amazonian clay 12-hour blush in dollface, a light baby pink, on the apples of her cheeks.
* She finished by adding luminosity to her complexion with tarte’s Amazonian clay shimmering powder in champagne over her blush.
* She sculpted her brows with emphasEYES™ Amazonian clay waterproof brow pencil.
* She lined the inner rims of the eyes with tarte’s smolderEYES Amazonian clay waterproof liner in fig and then went over it with emphasEYES™ high-definition inner rim eyeliner black pencil.
* Then she drew smolderEYES Amazonian clay waterproof liner in fig along her lash line toward her temple, creating a glamorous cat eye.
* To make her green eyes pop, she dusted matte plum from neutralEYES eye shadow palette over the liner.
* She followed by lining her lower lashline with smolderEYES Amazonian clay waterproof liner in fig to complete the winged effect.
* For extra volume and dramatic separation on her upper lashes, Terri used two coats of tarte’s lights, camera, lashes! clinically-proven mascara.
One of the perks of living in NYC? You never know who you’re going to run into. Early this morning, Jenna, tarte’s creative marketing manager bumped in creative great Simon Doonan on 5th Ave. In her own words:
“So sleepy this morning… but awake enough to notice Barneys New York‘s Creative Extraordinaire Simon Doonan walking down 5th Avenue next to me… which is why I had to grab him (with force) for a photo op. Ha! The best part? He was oh-so-genuinely-nice and what’s nicer than being nice AND having amazing style? They go hand in hand.”
Have you ever run into a living legend on the street? Tell us all about it, or better yet, share a photo!
My top five favorite new tunes for a wintry weekend. Trust me, all your friends have these jams already. Don’t be the last to know, download these now!
1. Cage the Elephant, “Aberdeen”
From Bowling Green, Kentucky; these southern boys have made a name for themselves through high energy live performances and amazing lyrics — making them a huge hit in the U.S. and U.K.
2. The Wombats, “Jump into The Fog”
While they have a completely different sound than The Beatles, the two bands share the same home, Liverpool, and man, do they know how to rock. The Wombats have that awesome British feel to them that we all know and love. Want to indulge in some musical Anglophilia? Just plug in the headphones and turn it up.
3. M83, “Midnight City”
M83 is the brainchild of French musician Anthony Gonzalez. With a unique sound, M83 never disappoints. This is my go-to workout song when I’m feeling lazy and blah..it really gets my blood pumping!
4. Imperial Teen,“Runaway”
Having provided the soundtrack to the infamous and iconic scene of four teen beauties — the original mean girls — walking down their high school hallway in 1999’s twisted comedy Jawbreaker, Imperial Teen may be a throwback, but well worth a second glance. I’m thrilled that they are making such a strong impact. Check ‘em out!
5. The Naked and Famous, “Girls like you”
Who doesn’t love an import from Down Under?? The Naked and Famous is a New Zealand indie rock band from Auckland. Do yourself a favor and download them now. These guys are an incendiary force to be reckoned with.
tartelettes, just a few years ago, I wouldn’t have been caught dead in anything even resembling practical winter footwear. My cold-weather strategy was to sport the same ballet flats and heels I wore the rest of the year, in which I would step gingerly down my front walk before dashing into the warmth of my car.
Then, I moved to New York. Bye-bye, car. Hello, hikes across town, capricious weather, and snowboots.
But, because this is the Big Apple — the nation’s capital of the stylish yet practical shoe — a city girl’s winter gear has to protect her from the elements while still looking fabulous. You never know who might be just around the corner, even in a snowstorm.
Over the past few years, I’ve discovered a few cold-weather footwear options that are equal parts cute and practical.
Faux leather boots are possibly the easiest way to maintain a chic aesthetic while staying comfy and warm. You can’t go wrong with classic black or brown. Or, if you want to mix things up a little, opt for a pair of rock-and-roll-esque motorcycle boots. Brands like Diesel and Harley-Davidson offer non-leather boots that’ll add a bit of sass to any look. Find them at a vintage store, and they’ll be all broken in for you. Regardless of the style, layer up with thick socks (bonus points if you try a pair of patterned knee-highs that peek out over the top).
Throw old-school fashion rules out the window by keeping heels high and hemlines short this winter — there’s no need to keep those gorgeous gams covered up. Go for a high-heeled version of your daytime boot. Or stay warm with stockings and some fun, leg-defining booties. If it’s not wet out, sport your favorite peep-toe pumps with black tights. Even Rachel Zoe approves
On those rainy, cold days, rain boots with thick socks are the way to go. These aren’t the clunky rubber monstrosities of your youth; in recent years, shoe designers have begun churning out weather-proofed styles that are adorable and, above all, discreet. The best are those that look like boots you would wear anyways, rain or shine. My favorites are by Hunter, which have a slim shape and are super-durable. Classic black is a chic choice — but red and yellow are fun childhood throwbacks. Just try to resist stomping in puddles in these.
Of course, when it’s sleeting out, there are few other options than those dreaded snowboots. Never fear! Even these can be chic. I’m obsessed with this adorable style by Sorel — made with waxed canvas and detailed with faux fur — which I’d be hard-pressed not to wear, even on a clear day.
“Debra said she wanted knock-em-dead eyes. She wanted a super smoky dramatic look, so we made it all about glamorous eyes, and accentuated them with a shiny, natural nude gloss on the lips.” – Jeannia Robinette, celebrity makeup artist
- To begin, Jeannia used tarte’s Amazonian clay 12-hour full coverage foundation with Broad Spectrum SPF 15, applied with tarte’s new airbrush finish bamboo foundation brush.
- She added a touch of sheen with tarte’s new maracuja blush & glow brightening luminizer and cheek tint in candlelight on the tops of her cheekbones and around her temples
- She then used Amazonian clay bronzer in park ave princess to contour the hollows of her cheeks.
- To make her cheekbones pop, she used tarte’s new Amazonian clay 12-hour blush in buff a warm nude with a touch of shimmer, on the apples of her cheeks and along her cheekbones.
- She lined the inner rims of the eyes with tarte’s emphasEYES™ high-definition inner rim eyeliner black pencil
- Then she smudged smolderEYES Amazonian clay waterproof liner in golden black along the lash line, followed by smolderEYES Amazonian clay waterproof liner in olive, which added the perfect hint of green to complement her earrings.
- She followed by tapping on Amazonian clay cream shadow in shimmering moss to set the look and strike the perfect balance of black and green.
- For loads of volume and dramatic separation on her upper lashes, Jeannia used two coats of tarte’s light, camera, lashes! clinically-proven mascara, which made her eyes pop.
As vampy vixen Pam on the show, Kristin Bauer looked every bit her character when she stepped in to Sephora 5 Times Square for our Fashion’s Night Out event last Thursday. It was a look to die for, with sparkling crimson lips, a just-bitten flush, and smoldering vixen eyes thanks to the tarte™ for True Blood™ collection.
Once we saw Kristin, we knew we would be recreating the look on ourselves at home, so we asked tarte makeup artist Tony Ballard to share how he achieved Kristin’s vampy glam:
Overall Inspiration: “I was inspired by Kristin’s True Blood® character Pam – I wanted her to be sassy, but still classic with a strong red lip.”
complexion & cheeks
-Tony smoothed Kristin’s complexion with tarte’s smooth operator™ tinted moisturizer in agent 12.
-He set her complexion with tarte’s smooth operator™ Amazonian clay finishing powder.
-From the tarte™ for True Blood™ palette, he applied a soft wash of “the light,” a shimmering warm ivory over the entire lid, and then highlighted Kristin’s crease with “dusk,” a matte warm taupe.
-For extra drama to celebrate the evening, he used tarte’s multiplEYE™ lash enhancing liquid liner in black along her upper lash line.
-He then coated her top and bottom lashes with tarte’s gifted Amazonian clay smart mascara.
-To complete Kristin’s look, Tony used tarte’s LipSurgence™ matte lip tint in fiery, a matte red, on her sexy pout.
Are you daring enough to try this look yourself? Show us! Post pictures of your vampy vixen self on our Facebook page.
Tonight is Fashion’s Night Out and tarte™ is thrilled to be a part of it! For the past three years this event has taken over New York City, drawing trendsetters, fashionistas, design junkies, and glamour girls—and guys—from across the nation to ring in New York Fashion Week. We’ll be participating in not one, but three events tonight.
First, between 7pm and 9pm EST, we’ll be at Sephora Times Square hanging out with True Blood actress Kristin Bauer, giving mini makeovers and raffling off tarte™ for True Blood™ packages. Those of you not in New York can enter our online raffle. Tweet out ‘tarte rocks #FNO’ and link to this blog between now and 9pm EST and *you could be selected to win a tarte™ for True Blood™ prize package.
Then from 6pm to midnight EST we’re participating in QVC’s Fashion’s Night Out Experience Event, where you can meet us in person— the event will be held at 428 Broadway in Manhattan and is open to the public! tarte fans will have the opportunity to get pretty pout makeovers with our Lipsurgence™ lip tints and lusters while learning how to create the perfect lip.
Can’t catch either of these in person? No worries, for the first time ever FNO is bringing the celebration online. If you visit tarte.com tonight, between 6pm and 11pm EST and purchase a multiplEYE™ lash enhancer with the code FNO, you’ll get the multiplEYE™ primer and mascara FREE!
Plus, we’ll be live tweeting the entire evening, giving you an exclusive behind the scenes look at FNO tarte style. So if you haven’t already, follow us now at @tartecosemetics.
It’s going to be a fashion and beauty filled evening of glamour and fun and we can’t wait to see you there!
*Our twitter raffle is only open to those with US addresses.
The beautiful Kate Bosworth arrived at the premiere of L!fe Happens not only wearing a gorgeous pink number, but also decked out in tarte. Celebrity makeup artist Amy Nadine wanted to give her a look that would compliment her hot pink Richard Nicoll dress. She “opted for a simple and soft look to highlight Kate’s natural beauty.” She incorporated delicate pops of pink on her cheeks and lips. Following Amy’s easy steps, there’s no reason why you can’t replicate Kate’s look at home!
- To begin Amy applied tarte’s smooth operator™ tinted moisturizer in agent 04 all over Kate’s skin with a foundation brush.
- For the area below her eyes, she used tarte’s new maracuja creaseless concealer in light.
- She then used tarte’s smooth operator™ Amazonian clay finishing powder in bronze as a contour on the hollows of the cheek
- For a subtle glow, she used tarte’s natural cheek stain in blissful, a warm peachy-pink, on the apples of her cheeks and along her cheekbones dusted tarte’s Amazonian clay 12-hour blush in dollface for a hint of pink.
- To ensure that her look lasted through the evening, Amy used tarte’s lifted natural eyelid primer.
- Using the new tarte™ for True Blood™ limited-edition palette, Amy applied charmer (sparkling burnt copper/golden peach) in the crease and dawn (shimmering gold dust) all over the lid.
- For volume and separation on her upper lashes, Amy used tarte’s gifted Amazonian clay smart mascara.
- To frame Kate’s eyes, Amy used tarte’s emphasEYES brow high definition eyebrow pencil in medium brown (one shade darker).
- To complete Kate’s “pretty in pink” look, Amy used tarte’s LipSurgence lip tint in amused (bright pink) on her pout.
What tarte products are you wearing on your “red carpet”?
Each week we’ll be featuring our favorite style icons that portray fresh, eco-chic looks that work morning, noon and night. To kick it off this week we’re featuring America’s sweetheart Rachel Bilson. Whether she’s grabbing a coffee, running errands, walking her dog, or hitting up the Red Carpet, Rachel’s always looking amazing! The bronzed beauty doesn’t stop! Our eco-fashionista has sported many different looks and we’ve selected some of our favorites to share with you.
From pants and maxis to shorts, she always chooses styles that flatter her petite shape…
A regular on the Red Carpet, she can don a sultry look in black or a more bohemian take in a cream shade. She’s constantly changing it up with pops of fresh color that impel her to stand out.
To replicate Rachel’s eco-friendly style try incorporating these accessories into your wardrobe: a weaved-tote, a black-quilted bag or a fantastic pair of neutral pumps. These key pieces work with so many different looks giving you a more versatile take on your closet. Other items you’ll find Rachel wearing are trendy sunglasses, a bold cuff or a black blazer—these can be worn with almost anything in your closet. Go nuts, have fun, and outshine this summer with a fresh new style!
We want to know: what staple item will you be purchasing this season?
So the clock is ticking and you’re rushing off to yet another summer cocktail party! You throw on your basic white summer dress (old faithful). Stand in the mirror and though you look bronzed and beautiful against this white number the outfit still falls short. What to do to brighten your summer wardrobe without cutting into your funds for the weekend? The answer: a classic piece of turquoise. Whether it’s a bold necklace, dangly earrings or a basic cuff, it’ll never disappoint. This vintage, earth tone works with every summer style; it can give off a bohemian flare paired with casual attire or it can add a hint of earthy elegance to formal wear. I love how Cameron Diaz (shown above) knows how to rock the turquoise. Despite being dressed for the Red Carpet, she still maintains her surfer-chic vibe with these simple statement pieces.
What’s your go-to-flare when you need to spice up your style?