Fashion & Style
Summer is at our heels, tartelettes — for you west coast girls it is already here (lucky)! But with rising temps come harmful rays, and by now you should know that sun protection is key to maintaining a youthful complexion. And today, I’m going to tell you why.
A sunscreen’s SPF, or sun protection factor, measures how much the product shields the sun’s shorter-wave ultraviolet B rays, known as UVB radiation, which can cause sunburn — this leads to wrinkles and skin damage, not to mention skin cancer. You should be wearing a daily protection level of anywhere between SPF 15 to SPF 30. Always apply sunscreen 30 minutes prior to sun exposure, and when spending time in direct sunlight, you should reapply your every two hours. Many people — like me before I wrote this blog — are not sure how much sunscreen they need to apply in order to achieve full protection; one ounce or a shot glass size full of sunscreen should cover your entire body.
When shopping around for sun block, you want to choose one that guards against both UVA and UVB rays, this will help maintain and protect the health of your skin and prevents signs of aging from sun damage. I’ve broken down a list of products that will keep you covered when frolicking around outside this summer, wherever in the world you may be.
1. For full face coverage try MyChelle Replenishing Solar Defense SPF 30
2. For all over protection try Suntegrity all natural moisturizing body protection, broad spectrum SPF 30
3. Hair too is in danger when exposed to the sun, prevent sun damage to your hair by applying REDKEN Color Extend Sun Solar Screen SPF 12
4. What about my makeup you ask? Not to worry tarte offers a smooth operator™ Amazonian clay tinted moisturizer w/SPF 20
5. Protective accessories!
This week we’re scoping out Celeste’s space. She’s tarte’s retail operations and logistics associate — she makes sure that the right products make it into the right hands at exactly the right time.
Aside from being a logistical mastermind, she’s a true girly-girly and genuine southern belle. Need proof, just check out her desk:
2. Press hits: “I love seeing our products in beauty and fashion magazines — my friends text me saying tarte is everywhere this month!”
3. Family picture: “This my dad and me at the Swan Ball. I’m a Nashville native; I miss home all the time.”
4. Inspiration Board: “I keep folders of images that I love and occasionally print out a particularly spectacular one to add to my collection.”
5. A print out of a portrait of her grandmother Celeste Casey Reed: “‘Cecy’ was one of the most amazing women I have ever known. She looks so elegant and glamorous here — Ann Street of Nashville did this portrait.”
6. Flash drives: “Remember that famous Sex and the City conversation ‘When was the last time you backed up?’ I save everything important on flash drives, it’s too easy to lose things these days.”
7. tarte picture perfect™ eyelash curler: “I can’t use any other curler. This one is the best.”
8. Sparkling water or seltzer: “This is a must have for me. I love to add lemons to regular seltzer or just buy the flavored ones. They’re refreshing and delicious.”
9. A wooden lady bug: “Whenever some of the tarte team goes on business aboard, they’ll bring us back souvenirs. This lady bug was part of a little paper holder that said ‘you smell’ – typical professional behavior! I think its been on my keyboard for 4 years now.”
What’s on your desk?
Need a Friday pick-me-up? Hit play on one of these gems and blast the volume. Trust us, the minute the chorus starts you’ll be flooded with memories!
Plus, we’ll give you *bonus points if you can correctly list the years each song was released!
1. Hanson, “MMMbop”
2. Fiona Apple, “Criminal”
3. The Wallflowers, “One Headlight”
4. No Doubt, “Just a Girl”
5. Cheryl Crow, “If It Makes You Happy”
6. Spice Girls, “Wannabe”
7. Vanilla Ice, “Ice Ice Baby”
8. Coolio, “Gangsta’s Paradise”
*Bonus points means we’ll think you’re rad for the rest of our lives.
April showers is right! This past weekend was dreary through much of the northeast. But, in California, the weather was sunny and cheerful – perfect for Coachella. Thousands of celebs and regular folk alike flocked to the music fest for an epic lineup that included big names like The Black Keys and Dr. Dre, as well as some of our indie favorites (St. Vincent!)
With the Woodstock vibe that pervades this particular festival, the go-to style is hippie or hipster chic – usually, with a beachy twist (bikinis being de rigeuer) — we wished we could have gone ourselves to soak up some sun and sounds, but we’ll settle for some glamorous photos instead. Below, a few of the best-dressed women at Coachella.
Kate Bosworth was a festival style star, rocking both ends of the spectrum in a skintight dress one day and cut-offs the next.
Image via PopSugar
“Tiger-print romper” might sound unappealing, but Emma Watson can do no fashion wrong. We love how she combined this wild piece with neutral, stylish accessories.
Image via PopSugar
We’re used to seeing Lauren Conrad all dressed up, so we really dig her relaxed and carefree look .
Image via PopSugar
Lindsay Lohan looked put-together in a lace romper and matching, sky-high lace-up shoes.
Image via PopSugar
Diane Kruger ran around in fun nautical pattern and low booties, looking both casual and chic — you can’t go wrong with sailor stripes!
Image via HollywoodLife
Mischa Barton, looking fresh and healthy, rocked California-casual: keds and cutoffs.
Much like your makeup bag or your purse, what you keep on your desk says a lot of about who you are. We decided to put some members of the tarte team under the microscope by unexpectedly snapping a photo of their workspace and then asking them to pick out their must-haves.
This week’s subject is Kate, our incredible PR coordinator. When it comes to mixing and mingling, planning the perfect gift bag, or pulling off any type of event, she’s our go-to gal. Let’s find out what she needs within arm’s reach to get through the day.
1. pure maracuja oil: “I always keep a bottle on my desk!”
2. Deborah Lippman nail polish in the shade Fashion: “This is the perfect nude color for everyday wear. P.S. I’m addicted to nail polish.”
3. Bag Balm: “I don’t leave home without this mini! It looks great over any lip color and is a lifesaver for my cuticles.”
5. Dogeared Make a Wish necklace card: “I’ve been wearing Dogeared Make a Wish necklaces for a few years now. They‘re whimsical and chic.”
6. iPhone: “A girl’s best friend.”
8. Grady’s Cold Brew: “A delicious iced coffee concentrate.”
9. Lifesaver mints: “Our PR manager Jess and I go through a bag a week — it’s kind of a problem.”
10. Her dog: “My BFF Taylor! Cutest dog in the world!
What’s on your desk, tartelettes? Share a pic with us on Facebook.
At tarte we pride ourselves on using only the best ingredients to make the healthiest, most powerful and beautiful cosmetics we can. And every now and then, a little recognition is nice, but we were truly flattered to learn that InStyle magazine has listed — not just one — but four of our products as Best Beauty Buys of 2012: our maracuja blush and glow brightening luminizer and cheek tint, our LipSurgence™ lip tints, our Amazonian clay 12-hour blush and our Amazonian clay matte waterproof mineral powder bronzer in park ave princess.
Be the first to scoop up the season’s most raved about shade made with our award winning formula! Our new LipSurgence ™ lip tint in spirited is bright, bold and powered by a proprietary blend of plant bio-nutrients, vitamins and essentials oils, to soothe and treat lips.
tartelettes, it’s time to get spirited!
Lilly Collins is the cutest thing since that baby panda sneezed on YouTube…she has amazing style and a gorgeous set of killer brows that make Brooke Shield’s look sparse. With her flawless porcelain skin and black-as-night tresses, she was the obvious choice for the role of Snow White in the fairytale remake “Mirror Mirror.”
Off screen the girl has an eye for fashion appointing her our girl crush of the week.
Ladies, ladies, ladies, we all want the secret to timeless skin but the truth is there isn’t one. While we can’t stop our skin from aging, we can take steps to delay it dramatically. The first step to maintaining a youthful glow and firmer skin texture starts with skin protection….say it with me everyone, the key to anti-aging is SPF.
Don’t be caught stepping into the rays without — at least — SPF 15 coverage. Lucky for you, tarte formulates a lot of our wonderful everyday products with SPF. Visit tarte.com to pick us essentials such as foundation, pressed powder, tinted moisturizer and lip balm.
Get some coverage tartelettes!
When you’re trying to maintain an earth-friendly lifestyle, some areas are harder to fulfill than others. We would argue that perfume is actually the easiest of all. Many mainstream perfumeries are starting to focus on organic and non-animal ingredients, while other smaller companies have made it their mission to only use plants whose farming won’t endanger the environment. Check out some of our favorite eco-conscious perfume brands below.
With scents this lovely, there’s no reason not to go green.
Lush makes a wide range of pretty scents from organic ingredients and safe synthetics, and, as always, never test on animals. Try Cocktail, a pretty floral.
RH’s products are 100% natural and made from organically-farmed flowers in small batches – truly the embodiment of eco-friendly fashion. Try Devotion, a sexy combination of French lemon and Moroccan verveine.
Surfer Brook Taylor loves the earth – so when she decided to make a scent, she made it her priority to honor it. All of her fragrances adhere to strict IFRA regulations and are made from plants that are not endangered. Plus, they smell gorgeous – try Tahitian Gardenia.