Posts tagged chic
No worries, darlings, Mimi is the blogger who will save chic Christmas…or Hanukkah or Kwanzaa. (I’m très P.C.) Well, I’m playing Not-So-Secret Santa and giving you all you need to don truly gay apparel this Jingle Bell season.
1. You are Ebenezer Scrooge if this Isaac Mizrahi Two-Tone Velvet pump does not make you absolutely giddy. That eggplant on crimson is sartorially sinful.
2. I love Corpus’ Velvet Moto jacket because it puts a casual edge on this typically evening fabric. VroomVroomVelvet!
3. A.Wang has done it again with this perfect tough/soft-chic Velvet&Leather jacket
4. This Foley+Corinna Velvet Trim vest is the supreme style for the Tartelette just dabbling in the fabric. I’d amp up the sexy factor with sizzling liquid leggings.
5. Joie Velvet leggings
6. Nothing combats velvet’s “Old Granny” rep like this Free People micro-mini with its funky paisley print!
7. Gryphon Velvet Smoking Jacket
8. The patent and velvet on these Silver Way Oxfords is the best unexpected combo since Chrismukkah.
9. Who better to up the chic ante of the dreaded velvet headband than Mr. Jacobs? This Marc by Marc Jacobs Velvet Bow Headband is the perfect quirky touch to traditional Holiday fashions.
10. BCBG Max Azria Velvet Romper
Ok, Tartelettes, no more velvet vexing! It’s time for you to deck the halls with boughs of chicness
Ok, Tartelettes, the latest Daytime Dare should come as no surprise—leopard print. I set it up for you in last week’s lust list—and if you are even remotely familiar with moi, you know how nuts I go for print dell’animale. I’ve blogged it, coveted it and worn it. Now, it’s your turn to step inside the wild kingdom. I know it may seem non-sensical, but leopard print can be a wonderful neutral when done right.
And these are your rules for the game:
1. No more than two leopard pieces at once. No kind of “cat lady” is good.
2. Start with a conventional neutral base—black, white, brown—but make the print pop with a bold color. No time to be a ‘fraidy-cat.
3. Pace yourself. First time wrangling the cat? Go for gloves, a scarf or bag for just a touch of leopard fierce. Move on to a classic coat or sexy top when you feel more comfortable.
4. Most importantly, when you wear leopard print, strut your stuff like it’s nobody’s business. Those possibly dirty looks from coworkers in basic black and not-so-novel navy? Hateration Nation, honey. So what if you prefer your coffee with a side of cat, not cream
So, follow Mimi’s leopard laws and unleash your inner chic kitten! Me-wow!
When most people hear the word lace, images of cheesy va-va-voom lingerie ala Fredericks of Hollywood or Great-granny’s turn of the century wedding gown come to mind. Well, tartelettes, Mimi is here to show you that the days of bad lace are over! For the past two or three years, the print has been making a quiet comeback, but for Fall 2009 its back in black, baby. And ready to play both nigh and day!Yep, you heard me- during the a.m. too!
I have compiled a collection of luscious lacy looks that’ll have you moving from coffee at your desk to cocktails at the bar like a seasoned stylista. So “lace” yourself for some majorly ToDieFor pieces!
Bring sexy back to your workouts with these Lace Fold Over Pants by So Low *shopbop.com*
These Lace Top Aviators are the perfect touch of femme for the kick-booty Rocker Chick *urbanoutfitters.com*
Pair Victoria’s Secret Sheer Lace Top with a pencil skirt for some sexy chic in the office
Free People’s Ruffle Fingerless Gloves are a funky modern take on Madonna’s “Like a Virgin” look.
I love these Pink Studio Katana flats for a more low-key lace look. And the navy hue provides unexpected chic.
For the Blair Waldorf in all of us, this Skinny Lace headband is simply adorable.
Anthropologie’s Skirted Lace-Print Cardigan is a versatile piece that would be just as stylish with tweed trousers on Mon as it would be with Converse on Sat.
Price ain’t nothin’ but a number when it comes to this showstopping &uber-expensive M Missoni dress. Lace has never looked more HighEnd*shopbop.com*
Ok, tartelettes, this is a Daytime Dare, not Scare so get ready to “lace” on some serious chic. And for those true daredevils of style, head on over H.E.R.E. to see how to really up the ante with lace’s naughtiest companion- leather!
Until next time, chicsters!
“Pretty is as pretty does.” Sorry Forrest, but there’s a new saying in town. What better way to compliment your favorite tarte product than with this gorgeous compact from Kenneth Jay Lane? The glittering coral and turquoise with dazzling “diamond” accents recall a time when nose-powdering was a sort of fashion-show.
“Check out the rubies on her compact. Wowza!”
“Pshaw! Silver is so 1948. Get with the 50’s darling.”
Well, make like Marilyn and pick up a pretty purse companion of your own. I can see tarte’s provocateur powder as the perfect pop-in for this chic compact. Just think of it as jewelry for your make-up
Hello, my name is Amelia, and I am addicted to manicured nails. Now, I know you’re thinking “Welcome to 2009. What stylish woman isn’t?” O, but my love runs deeper than the average pretty gal’s.
By the fourth grade, I was rocking a red manicure on the regular. (Thanks, Mama) A few years later, I announced that I would be learning a trade when I started doing my own French manicures. I am as well versed in OPI and Essie polish names as any aesthetician- Meet me in “Lincoln Park After Dark” with a tray of “Cajun Shrimp,” “Mademoiselle.”
I say all of this to say that I know my polish! And I have found a set that will have your digits dancing to “Hot Child in the City” all summer long. Zoya’s La-Di-Da sampler embodies the shades of summer in rich reds, punchy pinks, neon orange and a not-so-mellow yellow.
My first trip into La-Di-Da land was the tomato-red shade of America, which is equal parts 50s housewife and screen siren. I knew it was a keeper when fem-fab designer Shoshane Lonstein Gruss complimented me on the color. Sa-woon! I next ventured towards the orange-alert shade of Paz, and the slightest hand gesture had people going absolutely ape over my fingers. One woman got kissing-close as she expressed her love for the shade.
For a look that is super summer-time sexy, pair these girly nail colors with the flirty hues of tarte’s Lips Ahoy lipgloss set. You’ll be saying “Ahoy, fun in the sun!” before you know it!
Zoya is delivering a one-two punch when it comes to finger fashion—incredibly long-lasting polish that is also au naturale and toxin-free.
La-Di-Da is a steal at $36 for six haute hues, so get to polishing, chicsters!