Posts tagged lifestyle
This holiday season make a conscious effort to gift green! With more options than ever, why wouldn’t you? Seriously, it’s just silly not to give green! I’ve pulled together a great group of eco-friendly items for everyone in your life; hopefully, you can find the perfect something for that special someone in your life.
- the stocking stuffer: re-hydrate and reduce waste with the Bobble Bottle water bottle with filtration system
- for him: a Sprout Watch, the band on this sleek chronograph watch is made from black corn resin
- for her: tarte’s ring it in natural cheek stain trio and cocktail ring
- for kids: Phresh Kids yoga mats are perfect for having fun and staying fit
- for pets: enjoy a day outside playing fetch with 30 LOVE Eco balls
Two weeks ago I ran my first half-marathon in 2 hours 1min 53sec (see earlier post to get more background)! We started in Prospect Park in Brooklyn and ended in Coney Island. It felt great mentally and physically to accomplish such a long run. As a beginner runner, I tried to read up on all the tips & tricks. Now, after finishing my first race I’d love to share some of my thoughts:
- Dress appropriately: I was sure to check the weather the night before. I went with some Nike dri-fit capris & tank. It was a bit chilly in the morning, but by mile 2 I was perfect.
- Start slow: This was a harder rule for me to follow, but I had my good friend Erika to keep me in check. You automatically want to run fast, but it’s best to start slow and build your speed. You can always sprint at the end.
- Hydrate: I’m constantly forcing myself to hydrate. I’m not one of those people that drink lots of water, but I’ve been getting much better at it! Throughout the race, you’ll find stations of water and Gatorade. Be sure to take advantage of them! Some people think that it will take time off their numbers, but in the end it really helps! Your body will thank you for it. I had my first Gatorade at mile 4 and then pretty much continued to do so every other mile.
- Music: My running mix really got me through the run—from Jay Z’s Empire State of Mind to Passion Pit’s Sleepyhead and MGMT’s Kids, I was able to motivate with music!
- Accessories: What did I really need? To be honest aside from my iPod, the only other items I carried in my pants were tarte’s 24/7 lip sheer and Powerbar gel to take at mile 6. Other than that I checked everything else I had with me.
- Support system: For this race, I was lucky to run with Erika and my husband Greg was there to cheer us on. I’m also constantly asking my dear friend Jay for advice, too.
As for challenges I personally faced during my run—waking up at 5am for a 7am race! Other than that I had some soreness, but ice and some advil did the trick. Next up: NYC marathon in October!!
WINNER: Congrats Florence!
“From that day on, if I was ever going somewhere, I was running!”
OK, maybe I’m no Forrest Gump, but at least I’m trying. Last November I cheered on a dear friend as he ran the Philadelphia Marathon and was truly inspired (thanks Jay!). That following week I became a New York Road Runner and signed up for the Fred Lebow Classic 5 mile race in January and the Gridiron Classic 4 mile race in February. During the early winter months I did all of my running on the treadmill to get in shape for these two races. Sure, it was only 5 miles, but I had never really raced and had to get the body ready. Plus, having a goal helped me beat the winter blues—I was making sure I was eating healthy and exercising.
On Jan 9th I laced up my sneakers and headed over to Central Park with my iPod, tarte’s 24/7 lip sheer in champagne brunch and tissues in pocket. Despite the frigid temperatures (luckily, I was wearing Under Armour HeatGear to stay warm), I finished the race in 42:41 minutes—I was pleasantly surprised and felt great. Soon after that I ran 4 mile races in Feb (17 degrees, nonetheless) and March. Having some experience under my belt (or sneaker more like it), I knew I was ready for slightly bigger challenges…enter Brooklyn Half-Marathon on May 22nd.
I’m now at the final weeks of my half marathon training program. I purchased myself a new pair of Asics and have found myself captivated by runners’ stories in Fitness, Shape, Self, Women’s Health and everything else I can get my hands on. I finished my first 10 mile run last Saturday—it’s the farthest I’ve run! With less than a month to go, I’m nervous about finishing, but also excited about the prospect of setting a goal and actually accomplishing it! Next up: a marathon….
Whether it’s a marathon or your first time at the gym, we’d love to hear your inspirational fitness stories! Post your experiences below in the comment section. One of you will have the chance to win my favorite fitness beauty must-have: tarte’s 24/7 lip sheer with SPF 15.
p.s. If you’re a runner, I’d also love any advice—I’m always up to hear about new tips & tricks!
With summer slowly approaching, Candace & I decided to engage in our own, little fitness challenge. From boot camp at 360Fit to intense spinning at Flywheel Sports, we’re starting to achieve both inner and outer Zen. That being said we decided to add another exercise regimen to our weekly routines: Bikram Yoga! My only other experience with Yoga was wearing tarte’s vitamin infused lipsticks in bikram, vinyasa and hatha—needless to say, I had my work cut out for me at Bikram Yoga NYC.
For those not familiar with it, Bikram Yoga takes place in a room with a minimum temperature of 105°… be prepared to sweat profusely! Although, this has been a fitness fad for quite a few years, “hot yoga” never really appealed to me—doesn’t the room just stink? With an open mind & minimal clothing, I completed my first class. Yes, the room had an interesting odor, but 5 minutes into it and I didn’t even care (or notice it anymore)! The 90 minute session is a series of 26 Hatha Yoga postures (asanas) and 2 Pranayama breathing exercises. The extremely challenging positions required intense concentration and claim to stimulate and restore health to every muscle, joint and organ of the body. I couldn’t do them all, but hopefully with time and practice I will. The perspiration alone felt like an amazing body detox. Instructors suggest that you refrain from eating 2 hours before class and to continuously drink water throughout the day to avoid any dizziness or nausea. An hour and a half passed faster than I thought & I left my session rejuvenated, energized and almost Gumby-like.
I think exercise is the best way to revive your body & keep yourself healthy. We all fall into slumps, but once you get into a routine the motivation comes naturally (promise). Check out the different exercise classes in your local area; it’s often easier to challenge yourself and feel results when exercising in a group setting. We’ve decided to expand our own personal fitness challenge and invite you to join “tarte’s fitness challenge”! I’m giving away 3 tarte vitamin-infused lipsticks in bikram (sheer pink cream) on the tarte Facebook page (we hope you are a fan)! To enter head to the tarte Facebook page and post your favorite place/class in your area for an ultimate workout. If you can, please include a link so others can check it out or sign up! Contest ends Friday, April 9th.
WINNER UPDATE: Congratulations to Deb Scott, Kellie Wilson & Ciara Peter!! Please e-mail your shipping info to Kristin@tartecosmetics.com
It comes as no surprise that one of the most romantic lyrics in music history is the late Teddy Pendergrass’
Turn off the lights…and light a candle.
Tonight I’m in a romantic mood, yeah.
Perhaps I’m just biased towards ol’ Teddy, since my parents met at one of his concerts. Talk about a 70’s love connection!
Well, this Valentine’s season, make like Mr. P and get that candle-lit glow with a few of my favorite luxurious brands. Your sweetie won’t know whether to kiss ya or sniff ya!
I burn candles non-stop in every room of my house- literally, it’s the live version of Johnny Cash’s Ring of Fire. And the brand that I rely on to keep going and going and going is Voluspa. Deliciously fragrant and with crazy burn power, these Kings of Kandles are worth every (s)cent. I am OBSESSED with the Makassar Ebony & Peach Candle. I don’t usually do the fruity scents, but this mixture is so intoxicating and sophisticated. No Fruit Roll-Up smellin’ candles here. Other Voluspa scents that I love are Crisp Champagne,
The extraordinarily extravagant Jonathan Adleris the leader of my new style religion. And his beyond glorious candle line makes me want to praise the Fashion Gods! I swear I had a “moment” when I took a whiff of the Big Sur candle which mixes bergamot, vetiver, cedar and nutmeg. Other scents in this destination-themed collection are Capri, Palm Beach and Acapulco.
For the girly-girl who wants her home to smell just as luscious as she, Tyler Candles are it! This hip brand has scents titled “High-Maintenance,” “Diva,” and “Hollywood” that could give even the most fragrant of eau de toilette a run for its money.
The most intriguing aspect of Dayna Decker’s couture candle collection is the EcoWood Wick, made from organic wood and designed to burn cleaner than a traditional cotton wick. The gorgeous glass candleholders will add a touch of style to any room in the house, and even the wax is made as eco-friendly as possible. Talk about chic gone green. Some of my favorite scents include Rose and Violetta.
All right Tartelettes, Mimi has given you the tools for a little V-day romance. So get to shoppin’ then smoochin
Halloween weekend is upon us, and if you haven’t already picked out a costume it’s time to get creative!! The tartelettes have been chatting about our costumes for what seems like a month & last night Heather was super crafty in the office with her zombie bride dress. So in honor of my favorite holiday I put together a little humorous video of the tarte ladies gettin’ down to the Monster Mash! I hope you enjoy because I’m laughing out loud–I’m the wearwolf. Don’t forget to sign up for our makeup costume contest & Have a creepy Halloween!
Mad Scientist (Celeste)
Bride of Frankenstein (Erica)
For the Collector:
Andy Warhol Prints: A Catalogue Raisonne 1963-1987—with 384 pages and 1,700 reproductions from the man who IS pop art, this is the perfect colorful addition to any bookshelf.
For the Fashion Maven:
Who What Wear: Celebrity and Runway Style for Real Life—we were already addicted to the site, so the book is a given for any seasoned stylista.
The Teen Vogue Handbook—the go-to reference for all that is fashion, even beyond your teen years.
For the Visionary:
Hue by Kelly Wearstler—with projects arranged by color, Wearstler’s design inspiration proves much deeper than the walls she decorates.
Marchesa Casati: Portraits of a muse—the complete portrait of an everlasting style icon, including insightful contributions from the likes of DVF and Karl Lagerfeld.
My ultimate relaxation is lounging by the ocean with a morning cup of java in one hand and a ‘can’t put it down’ page-turner in the other! This summer snag these best sellers and totally engulf yourself in their stories— just don’t forget to re-apply your SPF while you’re at it!
- Queen Takes King by Gigi Levangie Grazer—In Manhattan’s concrete jungle this is the tale of a society divorce & all the juicy drama!
- Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner—If you haven’t yet read anything from this best-selling, chick-lit author, then it’s the perfect time to jump on the bandwagon. This is an adventure of betrayal and loyalty of lifelong sometimes-friends.
- The Story Sisters by Alice Hoffman— Elle Mag’s June pick! Follow Claire, Meg, and Elv into troubled adulthood and to their grandmother in Paris, where old burdens fade and tragic new truths emerge.
- Jennifer Johnson is Sick of Being Single by Heather McElhatton—Jennifer’s an off-beat, single gal in search of Mr.Right (sound familiar?) This will definitely give you more than a few laughs!
- My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult—Read the book before it hits the big screen on June 26th! One of my personal favorites (I sobbed through it); this tells the emotional tale of illness on a family. I promise you won’t put it down!
Figuring out what you want to do with your life is one of the hardest taskes in life. Trying to make a name for yourself without getting sued or arrested can be hard these days, I should know I’m an intern. But even harder than figuring out your purpose in life is bathing suit shopping.
Every girl hates that time of year when she has to come to the realization that the fur coat (so to speak) needs to come off. It’s a time of year when you suddenly hate every model in any swimsuit ad you see. You find yourself dreading watching the weather report and hoping for some magical weather god that won’t take the temperature above 70 degrees until you’re ready. Some of us stop talking to friends we’ve known for years for fear of receiving an invite to the dreaded beach. You see the girls who are way too tan for it to be May, people wearing two pieces that should be wearing one pieces, and the guys that think the beach is a place for professional football.
Besides already being self-conscious about yourself, some of us can’t help but wonder if we chose the right bathing suit for the summer. You have the traditional one piece that is always safe but sometimes not very flattering; the perfect sexy one piece that only one girl on the beach is ever wearing (and you hate her for that); the modest two piece that is acceptable to wear while meeting any future mother or father-in-laws; the more revealing two piece boy short, hip hugger, low-rise, high-rise, string laiden, eye catching bikini that is sure to get a number and an invite to dinner; and the infamous thong bikini that should only be worn in non-English speaking countries.
Personally I choose the more revealing two piece that is sure to get a cell number and a free dinner (hey, a girl’s gotta eat). The choice is up to you ladies but just remember that it’s past Memorial Day A.K.A. you have less than 2 weeks to get your winter butts into sexy bikini body shape. Enjoy the treadmill (oh and grab a tube of tarte’s celufight to get the party started).
- the intern