Posts tagged organic
tartelettes, May has arrived, and you know what that means: swimsuit season! Although bathing suit shopping sometimes gets a bad rap, this blogger happens to love sifting through all those racks of brightly colored fabric and fun silhouettes. And now, with the growing selection of eco-friendly options out there, it’s even more enjoyable. Designers big and small are incorporating recycled materials, organic fabrics, and natural dyes into their designs, so that green fashionistas no longer have to choose between standards and style!
Here are a few brands who have amped up their swimwear with a dose of sexy sustainability, with looks to suit any beach style.
[Image via Everything But Water]
As the name implies, Eco Swim is all about sustainable swimwear: all their fabrics are made from recycled materials.
[Image via Emobi]
Could this bright frilly one-piece be any cuter? Aussie brand Emobi uses earth-friendly, water-based dyes in their signature bright prints.
[Image via Vitamin A]
Vitamin A has been the go-to swimsuit brand for Hollywood’s A-List for years because of their alluring designs and flattering cuts. Now, they’ve launched a gorgeous capsule collection made from 100% recycled nylon.
[Image via Odina]
Odina embodies both functionatlity and responsibility. Their surfer-friendly suits are made from recycled nylon and spandex; their nylon is made from post-consumer plastics. Pretty amazing – and just plain pretty.
What will you be sporting on the beach this summer?
When you’re trying to maintain an earth-friendly lifestyle, some areas are harder to fulfill than others. We would argue that perfume is actually the easiest of all. Many mainstream perfumeries are starting to focus on organic and non-animal ingredients, while other smaller companies have made it their mission to only use plants whose farming won’t endanger the environment. Check out some of our favorite eco-conscious perfume brands below.
With scents this lovely, there’s no reason not to go green.
Lush makes a wide range of pretty scents from organic ingredients and safe synthetics, and, as always, never test on animals. Try Cocktail, a pretty floral.
RH’s products are 100% natural and made from organically-farmed flowers in small batches – truly the embodiment of eco-friendly fashion. Try Devotion, a sexy combination of French lemon and Moroccan verveine.
Surfer Brook Taylor loves the earth – so when she decided to make a scent, she made it her priority to honor it. All of her fragrances adhere to strict IFRA regulations and are made from plants that are not endangered. Plus, they smell gorgeous – try Tahitian Gardenia.
For the most part I’m glad I did it and stuck with the six-day plan. Day two was a little hard because my body was craving more sustenance and I really needed to chew on something, so I had a stockpile of vegetables by my side at all times. Day three and four were a little easier because I was adjusting, but near the end of day four I developed a headache that I could not get rid of, no matter how much water I drank. Day five went a little smoother because I knew I was almost done.
The last day I pushed through and felt great. My skin cleared up and I’ve lost 5 ½ pounds (granted this will return when I go back to my normal eating). This cleanse was great because it rid my body of toxins — so I can start eating healthy and fresh for the New Year. Still, I recommend the three day cleanse, but if you have the stamina to do six all the power to ya!
While I’m cleaning out my lifestyle, why not cleanse my body as well? After reading a blog called The Kind Life, I decided to rid my body of nasty toxins with a cleanse called Kaeng Raeng — a nutritional meal replacement detox program.
The cleanse helps to peel off pounds, relieve bloating, improve digestion, boost immunity, enhance energy, and give you that natural glow. It’s totally vegan, gluten free, and caffeine free. It was kind of pricy, but it seemed well worth it. I mean, it is my body.
I’m only on day 2, but so far I feel great. In the past when I’ve attempted a cleanse, I never got past day 1. With this one, all I have to do is drink one meal replacement pouch 3 times a day for 3 or 6 days. I chose 6 days — I’m going all out. I’m also allowed to eat as many raw fruits and vegetables as I want!
Each pouch contains more than a full serving of fruit and fiber, 15g of lean non-GMO protein, 2 billion live probiotic cultures, essential amino acids, and daily vitamins. The drinks don’t taste as bad as I thought they would, I’m actually able to satisfy myself — I wasn’t expecting that. I’ve also lost 3 pounds and noticed that my skin is clearer…and its only day 2!
Wish me luck and I’ll keep you posted!
As a lover of all things chemical-free, I wanted to share with you some of my favorite organic denim brands — and the celebs who wear them. These blue jeans are earth-friendly, natural and have serious style.
Some of my favorite snacks of all time, I cannot keep Peeled Snacks keep to myself; they’re like gummy treats for adults made with organic and all-natural ingredients — no sugar or oil added. I can’t go a day without some of their dried mango.
Peeled supports local farmers and growers when organic crops are not readily available, and they strive to use the most environmentally sustainable business practices. For their product display cases, they use recycled paper making them not only delicious, but ecologically friendly.
Take a bite out of that!
If you’ve ever read my bio you know that I’m a coffee fan – in particular iced coffee. I’ll continue drinking the icy stuff well into the heart of winter, when it’s so cold that I have to wear gloves to hold on to my cup when walking from the coffee shop to the subway before work. So imagine how thrilled I was to discover Grady’s Cold Brew.
What it is: An all-natural, hand-brewed New Orleans-style iced coffee in a bottle.
What’s to love: Steeped with chicory and spices, Grady’s Cold Brew combines bold flavors and a subtle sweetness for a super smooth taste.
Where to get it: Made in Brooklyn, you can snag some of this delicious java at gradyscoldbrew.com.
We’re midway through the summer and already the belly bloat is creeping back around our waistlines. After all the family parties, barbeques, and summer cocktails what can we really expect? Not to worry though, we’ve devised a plan to attack the bloat dead in its tracks and eliminate any destruction that’s already occurred. Follow these simple steps and you’re sure to burn fat, stay healthy and keep a flat tummy from here on out!
- Snack with protein between the hours of 3pm and 4pm. This seems to be the time we snack heavily just before dinner and usually we opt for unhealthy choices. Choose a protein bar like Kashi to help boost your metabolism and balance your sugar. This will also help prevent overeating throughout the rest of the day.
- Crunches and planks are simple workouts that’ll keep your tummy toned and flat. Three to four times a week give yourself 20 minutes to work off that extra weight around your mid section.
- Zap sugar out of your diet! The less sugar you consume the lower your insulin level and the lower your insulin level the higher your glucagon level. Your glucagon level helps burn off fat and kills off any extra bulge in your stomach area.
- 21 chews and counting… Remember that old fashion rule: chew 21 times before swallowing? Well, there seems to be some merit in this method; the more you chew the easier it will be for your body to break down and digest any food consumed. Food not properly broken down can cause severe bloat in your mid-section; so just remember 21 chews can lead to a flatter tummy.
- Kick salt to the curb! Salt makes the body retain water and many women tend to hold it in their abdominal region. Substitute salt with either Salsa or pepper for a hint of flavor and if you must have some salt make it pure sea salt; it has a lower sodium count than table salt.
- Try kickboxing. Kickboxing is the ultimate work out for your belly; by moving your arms and legs you’re pretty much performing standing crunches for an entire class.
- Add a little lemon to your water. Lemons are a natural flavor and help the body naturally beat belly bloat.
- For instant results that give the appearance of a flatter stomach, try walking in heels. This ultimately forces your mid section to stretch out while walking.
- Why eat white when whole grain will help? Whole grains are easier for your body to break down offering more fiber, which helps beat bloating.
- Some of my favorite flat tummy foods: almonds, avocado, whole grain bread, salmon, natural peanut butter, berries, olive oil, and veggies, veggies, veggies!
How do you plan to beat the belly bloat this summer?
– 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed (can be bought at an organic grocery or health food store)
– ¼ cup raw cashews, soaked for several hours to soften
– 1 red bell pepper
– 1 tbsp curry powder
– ½ tsp cumin
– 1 tsp sea salt
– 1 clove garlic, chopped
– ¼ sweet onion, chopped
– ½ tbsp nutritional yeast (optional, a vegan way to add a “cheesy” flavor)
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- To de-stem your kale, pull all of the wide, leafy green parts off of the thick stalks. Place all of these in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Blend all of your ingredients, beginning with the cashews, until a thick “paste” has formed. If you do not have a blender, you can use unsalted cashew butter and mix the remaining ingredients by hand.
- “Massage” the paste onto your kale. Take a small amount of the paste into your hands and coat each piece of kale. Continue until all pieces are lightly coated in the paste. This is not as time-consuming as it sounds, I promise!
- Here is the tricky part: figuring out how long to leave in your kale. Start by seeing how the kale looks after 10 minutes. If the paste looks slightly cooked through and the kale looks crunchy, flip and bake for another 10 minutes. If the paste has not cooked, allow them to bake on the first side for another 10 minutes, then flip and bake until done. Once you figure out this timing, you will know how long it takes for your latter batches.
- Allow the kale chips to cool, and then devour! Make your office-mates green (literally!) with envy.
How do you snack healthy?
I love NYC Restaurant Week—it’s the perfect time to try out new and different restaurants without spending big bucks. I had been reading a lot about healthy hotspot Rouge Tomate; so my husband and our friends decided to check it out last Friday night. And we couldn’t have been more pleased! What’s great about this Michelin-Star restaurant is that they have a culinary nutritionist on staff to ensure that the dishes have perfect rations of meats to vegetables and fruits to nuts. Their philosophy is SPE™—they use 3 guidelines to “harmoniously blend extraordinary cuisine with authentic nutrition.” It’s all about sourcing seasonal and local foods, while also preparing and enhancing the meals in a sustainable manner. I love their motto, but enjoyed the food even more!! We all selected plates from the Restaurant Week menu along with the wine tasting (highly recommend). I had:
- Appetizer: Tombo Tuna Poke (Asian Pear, Watermelon Radish, Oyster Mushroom, Sesame)
- Main Course: Cauliflower Risotto (Heirloom Cauliflower, Parmesan, Garlic, Lemon Confit)
- Dessert: Golden Pineapple (Passion Fruit Curd, Mango, Kiwi, Coconut Tapioca)