Posts tagged yoga
While there are still a few people who raise their eyebrows at the chanting and the poses – remember the first time you heard of downward dog? – yoga has become mainstream. Touted for it’s physical, mental and anti-aging benefits, it’s the perfect exercise. And with the dawning of 2013 and my resolution to incorporate fitness — and anti-aging — into my lifestyle, I’ve decided that, starting now, yoga is for me.
The weather is warming up and pretty soon you’ll have no choice but to pull on a pair of short shorts, wear a belly-bearing top, or hit the street in a sleeveless tank.
Whether you’re a born jock or scrambling to follow a fitness routine for the sake of a summer-ready body, nothing can amp you up for a workout faster than pretty and flattering new gym clothes. Here, we’ve taken the guesswork out of fitness apparel shopping. Swap out your old sweats, get your heart rate pumping and face summer fearlessly.
Work it, girl!
Get prepared: Stocking up your kitchen with healthy favorites will eliminate the temptation to eat junk food that could be detrimental to your well-being and your fitness goals. Warm up with a nutritious cup of soup or jumpstart your metabolism with a cleansing cup of green tea. Oh yeah, you may also want to toss what’s left of the holiday candy.
Get moving: Whether you enjoy working up a sweat on a bike, on your feet, or to the beat, there are tons of options to get you off the couch and ready for summer clothes. Group exercise, such as gym classes or joining a running club, is a great way to meet friends who have the same fitness goals in mind. You would be surprised how much fun you can have while burning calories!
Get pumped up: Listening to some upbeat tunes is sure to put you in a good mood. Whether taking a Zumba class or hitting the clubs, hearing chart topping tunes by Rihanna, Pitbull, or Flo Rida are sure to give you a “Good Feeling.”
Get de-stressed: Yoga and meditation are stress relieving activities that benefit the mind and body. Taking even just five minutes a day to focus on your breathing and clear your mind will help you let go of any stressful thoughts. Regular practice of these techniques can change the way you relate to yourself and others, making your relationships stronger and more fulfilling.
Get some rest: After a busy day at work or at home, sleep is essential for replenishing energy, reducing stress, and maintaining a healthy weight. Make a New Year’s resolution to get 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night – your body will thank you!
Take these tips, make them part of your daily routine, and 2012 will be your best year yet!
In honor of our week long friends & family 30% off sale, we decided to ask some of our nearest and dearest what they’d like to give or get this year.
the road to fitness: “After working in the fashion industry for a couple years, I realized that my appetite for fitness went far beyond daily workouts. Transitioning into the wellness and fitness arena has been the most satisfying and tiring decision of my career and life. As we say at Equinox “It’s not fitness, it’s life,” and it truly is just that!”
her gift list:
1. tarte LipSurgence™ lip luster in adored: “I love this color and consistency so much that I even wear it to Figure 4 – a barre class – because I face a mirror and love looking at my shimmery, girly lip hue. And it’s sweat resistant, who knew?”
2. Yogitoes yoga towel: “There is no need for slip and slide in Hot Yoga … it will ruin your practice.”
3. Hermes enamel bangle: “Every now and again, a fitness buff has to kick off her sneaks and go glam.”
4. Private Yoga sessions with Loren Bassett at Pure Yoga: “I like to power through my vinyasas to the point of serious exhaustion. Only Loren can take you to your edge — the one you never knew existed. As strong and mighty as she is, she is the most calming force.”
5 A series of blowouts by Mike Viggue : “He is a house-call only hair stylist who originally hails from Sally Hershberger Salon; The way his hands can morph your hair into the ultimate sexy look is almost illegal!”
6. Alive Program with Meredith Geller: “Working out is all fine and dandy, but ultimately feeding your body properly is crucial. You will only achieve the look you strive for with both components. Meredith will literally hold your hand through health food aisles!”