Archive for July, 2011
We’re midway through the summer and already the belly bloat is creeping back around our waistlines. After all the family parties, barbeques, and summer cocktails what can we really expect? Not to worry though, we’ve devised a plan to attack the bloat dead in its tracks and eliminate any destruction that’s already occurred. Follow these simple steps and you’re sure to burn fat, stay healthy and keep a flat tummy from here on out!
- Snack with protein between the hours of 3pm and 4pm. This seems to be the time we snack heavily just before dinner and usually we opt for unhealthy choices. Choose a protein bar like Kashi to help boost your metabolism and balance your sugar. This will also help prevent overeating throughout the rest of the day.
- Crunches and planks are simple workouts that’ll keep your tummy toned and flat. Three to four times a week give yourself 20 minutes to work off that extra weight around your mid section.
- Zap sugar out of your diet! The less sugar you consume the lower your insulin level and the lower your insulin level the higher your glucagon level. Your glucagon level helps burn off fat and kills off any extra bulge in your stomach area.
- 21 chews and counting… Remember that old fashion rule: chew 21 times before swallowing? Well, there seems to be some merit in this method; the more you chew the easier it will be for your body to break down and digest any food consumed. Food not properly broken down can cause severe bloat in your mid-section; so just remember 21 chews can lead to a flatter tummy.
- Kick salt to the curb! Salt makes the body retain water and many women tend to hold it in their abdominal region. Substitute salt with either Salsa or pepper for a hint of flavor and if you must have some salt make it pure sea salt; it has a lower sodium count than table salt.
- Try kickboxing. Kickboxing is the ultimate work out for your belly; by moving your arms and legs you’re pretty much performing standing crunches for an entire class.
- Add a little lemon to your water. Lemons are a natural flavor and help the body naturally beat belly bloat.
- For instant results that give the appearance of a flatter stomach, try walking in heels. This ultimately forces your mid section to stretch out while walking.
- Why eat white when whole grain will help? Whole grains are easier for your body to break down offering more fiber, which helps beat bloating.
- Some of my favorite flat tummy foods: almonds, avocado, whole grain bread, salmon, natural peanut butter, berries, olive oil, and veggies, veggies, veggies!
How do you plan to beat the belly bloat this summer?
With tarte’s natural line of bronzing products there is no excuse to step out with a see through complexion during the summertime. Remember, there is no such thing as a healthy suntan so if you’re looking for products that give instant faux glow results while leaving your skin looking and feeling gorgeous, you’ve come to the right place. As a self proclaimed reformed sun worshiper, I’m conscious of skin-cancer risks but I still love the way my skin looks tan so whenever there is a new bronzing product being passed around the office- I’m always the first to try. Here is my expert advice on how to get an allover gorgeous glow without the harmful rays. My favorite everyday summer product is tarte’s smooth operator™ Amazonian clay finishing powder in bronze. This lightweight product mattifies my skin (since it tends to get oily after hours in sun) and gives me a gorgeous natural bronzed glow with every application. Love that! I also rely on tarte’s glam gams to transform my pale stems to bronzed and beautiful; giving me the confidence I need to step out on a hot summer night.
What tarte product do you rely on for a natural summer glow?
Yesterday, I had the honor of presenting to a really fantastic group of young ladies at FashionCampNYC. To give you some more insight on the program, it’s a five-day camp experience, where experts, designers, product developers, stylists, bloggers, editors, publicists (me!), retailers and other fashion & beauty professionals educate budding teens between the ages 12 to 18. The program explores the “business” of fashion and beauty, teaching teens how to turn their passion into a lucrative profession.
During my session, I explained the role of PR in the beauty industry. As part of my presentation, I offered background on tarte and then explained my PR position with the help of some props! I distributed magazines (i.e. Seventeen) where tarte was featured and discussed some of our coveted beauty awards. I also explained the importance of a press kit, which includes a bio about the company, celebrity fans and other informative information. These young ladies are really a passionate group—I hope I taught them a thing or two (i.e. listen up in your English and writing classes)! I’m really so excited about these future industry professionals. We’re in good hands!
I can’t wait to do it all over again on 8/2—it felt good to pay it forward. How are you giving back to the community?
– 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed (can be bought at an organic grocery or health food store)
– ¼ cup raw cashews, soaked for several hours to soften
– 1 red bell pepper
– 1 tbsp curry powder
– ½ tsp cumin
– 1 tsp sea salt
– 1 clove garlic, chopped
– ¼ sweet onion, chopped
– ½ tbsp nutritional yeast (optional, a vegan way to add a “cheesy” flavor)
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- To de-stem your kale, pull all of the wide, leafy green parts off of the thick stalks. Place all of these in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Blend all of your ingredients, beginning with the cashews, until a thick “paste” has formed. If you do not have a blender, you can use unsalted cashew butter and mix the remaining ingredients by hand.
- “Massage” the paste onto your kale. Take a small amount of the paste into your hands and coat each piece of kale. Continue until all pieces are lightly coated in the paste. This is not as time-consuming as it sounds, I promise!
- Here is the tricky part: figuring out how long to leave in your kale. Start by seeing how the kale looks after 10 minutes. If the paste looks slightly cooked through and the kale looks crunchy, flip and bake for another 10 minutes. If the paste has not cooked, allow them to bake on the first side for another 10 minutes, then flip and bake until done. Once you figure out this timing, you will know how long it takes for your latter batches.
- Allow the kale chips to cool, and then devour! Make your office-mates green (literally!) with envy.
How do you snack healthy?
Just like a perfectly broken-in pair of jeans, the right lip color should be comfortable, flattering, and make you feel fabulous about yourself when wearing it. But is there one tone that looks good on every one? For years, you’ve read that if you have pink undertones, you should wear this shade, or if you have olive skin, that shade will work best. But guess what? tarte’s Lipsurgence™ natural lip tint in enchanted flatters literally every girl under the sun – whether she’s blond or brunette, tawny-skinned or alabaster.
As a freelance makeup artist for tarte, I work with women of all ages and ethnicities. tarte’s incredible high-performance natural™ line has specific shades that flatter every complexion, from the palest porcelain to the deepest walnut. However, at tarte events (check out an Ulta or Sephora near you!), I often find myself reaching for enchanted over and over. It’s a beautiful medium rose that, when applied, is the perfect “your lips, but better” shade. No need to struggle with a tricky lip brush or sharpener, because it’s packaged like a chubby crayon that you can twist up and slick right on. With its staining power, it lasts from sunrise to sunset with no need for touch-ups! What could be better for a busy beauty like you?
To show all of you fabulous tartelettes how versatile enchanted is I’ve applied it on three gorgeous tarte staffers here at our office, all with dramatically different complexions and coloring. For intensity purposes, I’ve also applied it in three styles for various occasions – for casual weekend-wear, for long days at the office, and for a fun night out.
So, like those super-slimming jeans you’ve had for years –you know the ones that make your sharp blazer and heels look downtown or dress up your super-comfy sweatshirts—enchanted will be your new go-to, whether you’re out dancing or lounging around the house (glamorously, of course!).
Will you be enchanted?
Charlotte & Jen
Hello beautiful tartelettes! I’m Charlotte, one of tarte’s marketing & PR interns as well as a freelance makeup artist for the line. I’m so happy to announce that I’ve been given the incredible opportunity to blog about all of my favorite things – clean eating, fun exercise, the gorgeous outdoors, fabulous fashion, and most importantly: amazing makeup! tarte’s high-performance natural™ products are staples in my professional kit as well as in my personal stash, and I hope that you gals enjoy them just as much!
I guess you can say that liquid lipstick runs through my veins. At age 20, my grandmother Marie moved from a tiny town nestled in the foothills of the Berkshires to NYC, which was a quite daring move in 1945. She soon found a job at a certain famed red door salon, working her way up from “treatment girl” to on-call makeup artist for numerous NYC socialites and celebrities. She later left the salon to freelance, painting the faces of Marilyn Monroe, famed 60s supermodel Verushka, and the Beatles, all whilst working on national campaigns for major cosmetic and hair companies. Her whirlwind career inspired me; from the time I was a young girl, I wanted to be a makeup artist. At age fifteen, I began working on editorial photo shoots in NYC, and I continue to update and improve my portfolio to this day.
What attracted me to tarte, at first, was their huge array of products that are not only pretty (both in the packaging and on the face!), but that they’re formulated without many harmful ingredients, such as parabens and phthalates. The fact that they’re vegan is also a major plus – as an animal-lover, it breaks my heart to think that many commercially-available cosmetics are tested on animals. tarte’s “green beauty” philosophy suits my lifestyle to a tee – and I hope you gorgeous girls feel the same way! I’m so happy to have the opportunity to be here and share my experience with you.
Peace, love, and health!
Reality TV star turned fashion designer/New York Times bestselling author/blogging extraordinaire Lauren Conrad personifies easy, breezy, California style. From her daily uniform of a C&C tank and ripped jeans on Laguna Beach, to the side-braid style she made ever-so-popular from her days on The Hills, to her sophisticated and simple style as of late, there is no look that this beachy (now ombre’d) blonde can’t pull off.
So what is the secret to LC’s fabulous, yet effortlessly chic style? She has figured out what is most flattering for her, and runs with it. She is able to dress up basics with fabulous accessories and fun hair and makeup, yet never wears anything overtly trendy or embellished. Her upcoming fashion collection, Paper Crown, places an emphasis on fabulously simple, timeless pieces that can be mixed and matched to create a plethora of looks suitable for any occasion, body type, or style.
Lauren’s most recent looks showcase her ability to put trendy hair and makeup looks with simple, well-tailored clothing to create a style that is all her own. Let’s take a closer look!
On a recent appearance on Chelsea Handler’s show (just hours after she turned in the manuscript for her fifth novel – is this girl an overachiever or what?!), Lauren looked gorgeously glam in a black mini-dress with lace overlay, worn with chunky wooden platforms. Her hair was perfectly plaited to the side and with the help of makeup artist Amy Nadine (with whom Lauren runs beauty blog, The Beauty Department), she looked positively radiant. You can get Lauren’s look by pairing this dress [choose one]
with shoes from Lauren’s own Kohl’s line: http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/brandswomen/lc/shoes/PRD~785408/LC+Lauren+Conrad+Victoria+Platform+Sandals.jsp
Amy Nadine definently used a nude lip color to help.
How do you think Lauren Conrad’s style can be translated best to your own life?
Jen & Charlotte