diy beauty: ultra moisturizing cocoa face mask
Winter is probably the roughest season on skin — cold, dry air and sharp winds do not make for a happy complexion. And considering that your skin is your body’s largest organ, we think you’re obligated to pamper it during the harsh winter months. As temperatures dropped to almost 15 degrees here in New York City, we turned to our in-house DIY beauty guru, Erica for a simple but effective recipe to boost both the health and the moisture levels of our skin. Never one to disappoint, Erica show’s us, and you, how to ‘treat yo’ complexion for a chap-free winter.
I love the winter, but sensitive, fair complexions — like mine — don’t mix well with fierce chills and low temps. During long stretches of cold weather I try to apply a super-hydrating face mask at least once a week — DIY style, of course. Whipping up a rich, moisturizing facial treatment is a lot easier than you think. In fact, between your bathroom and your kitchen, you probably already have all the ingredients you’ll need!
Below is one of my favorite at-home beauty remedies, an old-fashioned cocoa mask, but with one small addition, maracuja oil. One of my favorite tarte products, our 100% pure maracuja oil works wonders on it’s own, but can also be added to mud or cream face mask to boost moisturizing power. So raid you cabinets for the ingredients, mix up this DIY wonder and kiss wind-burned skin goodbye!
- 3 Tbsp. finely ground espresso or coffee beans (I use my own grinder, but already ground coffee works, too!)
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp. finely ground toasted almonds (You can use your coffee grinder to prepare the nuts as well!)
- 1 Tbsp. 100% pure maracuja oil
- 4 Tbsp. whole milk or unflavored yogurt. Vegans, feel free to substitute with almond milk or coconut milk.
- 2 Tbsp. honey
1. Grind coffee and almonds —separately– into a fine powder. Remember both ingredients must be finely ground so as to not scratch your skin— you face has enough to deal with in winter!
2. Mix the coffee, cocoa and almonds together in a bowl.
3. Add your diary (or dairy substitute) ingredient. Use only 3 Tbsp if you prefer a thicker mask.
4. Stir in the honey. I like to warm it up first, this helps the honey mix more easily. Try a warm water bath or a minute in the microwave.
5. Continue mixing until smooth while slowly adding in the pure maracuja oil.
6. Apply the mixture to your face, neck, and, if you like , your décolletage.
7. Let the mask sit for 15 minutes and try not to scare your neighbors. Then gently remove by pressing a warm, wet washcloth against your face to loosen the mask. Be careful not to rub too hard — the coffee grounds could irritate sensitive skin.
8. Face the harsh, dry temperatures with clam, hydrated skin!
If there is mixture left over, store it in the fridge and use it the next week. Toss it if you don’t use it within the next 8 days. Oh, make sure to share your own DIY beauty remedies in the comments below!
No trackbacks yet.
about 1 year ago - 5 comments
Take your tarte poolside with this serious summer swag! Today you have the chance to win a Tory Burch tote and some of our most popular tarte waterproof wonders! Keep reading to find out how to enter this amazing giveaway.
about 1 year ago - No comments
Feast your eyes on this ultra-glam giveaway! One lucky winner will be sporting a chic pair of @RebeccaMinkoff sunnies this season with our LipSurgence™ lip tint in lust and Amazonian clay mineral bronzer in park ave princess. Get the details on how to enter below.
about 1 year ago - No comments
Maureen always says, “If you can’t tone it, tan it!” Why not do both? We’re giving you the chance to win a hot pair of @NewBalance classics, our maracuja rainforest glow instant matte waterproof body perfector, and a glamazon™ pure performance 12-hour lipstick in fierce! Keep reading to learn how to enter this incredible giveaway! How […]
about 1 year ago - 2 comments
Meet Staci, tarte’s e-commerce manager and modern bride. Tell us about your upcoming wedding! How will you style your evening to remember? While we love the sophisticated details of a Saturday evening affair, but didn’t want the stuffiness a black tie dress code sometimes requires. Think white dress with Jimmy Choo’s swapped out […]
about 1 year ago - 1 comment
Are you bronzer-challenged? It’s a condition far more common than you think! But it’s time to get over this silly phobia. We’ve created this simple how-to video to help you. A healthy alternative to real sun, our best-selling Amazonian clay mineral bronzer in park ave princess helps to create a warm glowing complexion, and it works for […]
about 1 year ago - No comments
Meets America’s most glamorous synchronized swimming group, the Aqualillies! They reinvent the classic art of water ballet and mesmerize audiences with their modern strength and vintage beauty. These true tartelettes—fearlessly powerful, healthy, real women—are the perfect muses for this high-performance, splash-proof collaboration: our 2013 summer collection! We sat down with Aqualilly Alysha to find […]
about 2 years ago - 3 comments
You asked for it, tartelettes, and we listened. For years Maureen and the tarte product development team have been fine tuning this formula — and it will finally make it’s debut, tonight on QVC during the 10pm ET hour! Shop now!
about 2 years ago - No comments
What shade would you dare to wear?
about 2 years ago - 1 comment
The key to framing your eyes and exaggerating lashes is simple: apply the right mascara, in the right amount. There is nothing worse than clumpy, dried out lashes that look like little spider legs! The fundamental part of choosing the best mascara is to know your lashes. Are they naturally long and could use a […]
about 2 years ago - 6 comments
Nothing brightens up your face like a swipe of blush! But when it comes to finding the perfect shade, it’s important to consider your skin tone. Sure you love the way a swath of neon pink looks on an olive-toned runway model, but can that really work for you? While super saturated pigments tend […]