Posts tagged workout
As you know, we’re all about high-performance naturals at tarte—we’ve got a roster of amazing waterproof, budgeproof, sweatproof, and 12-hour long-wear products to keep you looking fantastic no matter what. So, in the spirit of the Olympics, we invited some of our favorite beauty bloggers and editors to join us for a spin class and test some of these products out at FlyWheel Sports in NYC. More >
The weather is warming up and pretty soon you’ll have no choice but to pull on a pair of short shorts, wear a belly-bearing top, or hit the street in a sleeveless tank.
Whether you’re a born jock or scrambling to follow a fitness routine for the sake of a summer-ready body, nothing can amp you up for a workout faster than pretty and flattering new gym clothes. Here, we’ve taken the guesswork out of fitness apparel shopping. Swap out your old sweats, get your heart rate pumping and face summer fearlessly.
Work it, girl!
Get prepared: Stocking up your kitchen with healthy favorites will eliminate the temptation to eat junk food that could be detrimental to your well-being and your fitness goals. Warm up with a nutritious cup of soup or jumpstart your metabolism with a cleansing cup of green tea. Oh yeah, you may also want to toss what’s left of the holiday candy.
Get moving: Whether you enjoy working up a sweat on a bike, on your feet, or to the beat, there are tons of options to get you off the couch and ready for summer clothes. Group exercise, such as gym classes or joining a running club, is a great way to meet friends who have the same fitness goals in mind. You would be surprised how much fun you can have while burning calories!
Get pumped up: Listening to some upbeat tunes is sure to put you in a good mood. Whether taking a Zumba class or hitting the clubs, hearing chart topping tunes by Rihanna, Pitbull, or Flo Rida are sure to give you a “Good Feeling.”
Get de-stressed: Yoga and meditation are stress relieving activities that benefit the mind and body. Taking even just five minutes a day to focus on your breathing and clear your mind will help you let go of any stressful thoughts. Regular practice of these techniques can change the way you relate to yourself and others, making your relationships stronger and more fulfilling.
Get some rest: After a busy day at work or at home, sleep is essential for replenishing energy, reducing stress, and maintaining a healthy weight. Make a New Year’s resolution to get 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night – your body will thank you!
Take these tips, make them part of your daily routine, and 2012 will be your best year yet!
Fall has arrived and with it comes a host of tasty temptations — but keeping fit and indulging in the party season aren’t mutually exclusive. Follow these simple steps and you’ll be rocking a svelte figure straight on through the New Year.
Avoid fall comfort food: Fall baking is oh-so-delicious and oh-so-calorie packed. Instead of using traditional recipes Google healthy options for favorites like banana bread or butternut squash soup.
Resist hibernation: It’s easier to become less active as it gets darker earlier. Try joining a gym, or sign up for a workout class with a friend to maintain motivation.
Party Smart: Awesome holiday parties mean alcoholic drinks galore — and those can add some serious numbers to your caloric intake. Limit drinks or opt for water to stay hydrated and keep from adding on pounds.
Curtail the Candy: Stop stealing candy out of your children’s or younger brother or sister’s trick or treat bags…you didn’t earn it and you sure don’t need it. Sweets can derail any plans for healthy eating. Instead, indulge in healthy snacks like popcorn or dark chocolate covered fruits.
We’re midway through the summer and already the belly bloat is creeping back around our waistlines. After all the family parties, barbeques, and summer cocktails what can we really expect? Not to worry though, we’ve devised a plan to attack the bloat dead in its tracks and eliminate any destruction that’s already occurred. Follow these simple steps and you’re sure to burn fat, stay healthy and keep a flat tummy from here on out!
- Snack with protein between the hours of 3pm and 4pm. This seems to be the time we snack heavily just before dinner and usually we opt for unhealthy choices. Choose a protein bar like Kashi to help boost your metabolism and balance your sugar. This will also help prevent overeating throughout the rest of the day.
- Crunches and planks are simple workouts that’ll keep your tummy toned and flat. Three to four times a week give yourself 20 minutes to work off that extra weight around your mid section.
- Zap sugar out of your diet! The less sugar you consume the lower your insulin level and the lower your insulin level the higher your glucagon level. Your glucagon level helps burn off fat and kills off any extra bulge in your stomach area.
- 21 chews and counting… Remember that old fashion rule: chew 21 times before swallowing? Well, there seems to be some merit in this method; the more you chew the easier it will be for your body to break down and digest any food consumed. Food not properly broken down can cause severe bloat in your mid-section; so just remember 21 chews can lead to a flatter tummy.
- Kick salt to the curb! Salt makes the body retain water and many women tend to hold it in their abdominal region. Substitute salt with either Salsa or pepper for a hint of flavor and if you must have some salt make it pure sea salt; it has a lower sodium count than table salt.
- Try kickboxing. Kickboxing is the ultimate work out for your belly; by moving your arms and legs you’re pretty much performing standing crunches for an entire class.
- Add a little lemon to your water. Lemons are a natural flavor and help the body naturally beat belly bloat.
- For instant results that give the appearance of a flatter stomach, try walking in heels. This ultimately forces your mid section to stretch out while walking.
- Why eat white when whole grain will help? Whole grains are easier for your body to break down offering more fiber, which helps beat bloating.
- Some of my favorite flat tummy foods: almonds, avocado, whole grain bread, salmon, natural peanut butter, berries, olive oil, and veggies, veggies, veggies!
How do you plan to beat the belly bloat this summer?
As I mentioned in a previous post, I’m making 2011 the year of fitness! But in a fun way! The winter months have given me the perfect opportunity to embrace snowboarding, but my day job doesn’t allow for that to be my consistent form of exercise. I’ve been thinking long on what new activity to try…what to do? Personally, I prefer a motivating class atmosphere. When you see everyone else around you doing it you tell yourself ‘so can I’. Well ladies, I’ve found my new calorie burning, strength training Mecca: The Bar Method (another similar program is Physique 57).
Friends and colleagues have raved about this workout program in the past, however, with its hefty price tag I’ve always resorted to other options. Last week my favorite Gilt Groupe affiliate Gilt City had an amazing discounted 1-month package for new students; I seized the opportunity. With 5 classes under my belt, I’m feeling soreness in muscles I didn’t even realize could be worked!
Enough babbling, what is it already? I think they say it best, “The Bar Method integrates the fat burning format of interval training, the muscle shaping technique of isometrics, the elongating principles of dance conditioning, and the science of physical therapy to create a revolutionary new workout that quickly and safely reshapes your entire body.” Just think ballet, yoga, weights—they even have classes for moms-to-be! With studios in major cities nationwide, I encourage you to try it. I promise it’ll only take one class…and you’ll be shaking!
For the best results you need to switch up your fitness routine. Your muscles get bored just as fast as you do!
I’ve been buying a lot of music from itunes lately to update my ipod and I discovered something new, “i tunes essentials”! Basically itunes created mixes of songs from all different years and genres. Some of my favorites are “60’s Rock”, “Alternative Hip Hop”, Total Workout” (perfect for workout sessions with Levi)! -Erica