The weather is warming up and pretty soon you’ll have no choice but to pull on a pair of short shorts, wear a belly-bearing top, or hit the street in a sleeveless tank.
Whether you’re a born jock or scrambling to follow a fitness routine for the sake of a summer-ready body, nothing can amp you up for a workout faster than pretty and flattering new gym clothes. Here, we’ve taken the guesswork out of fitness apparel shopping. Swap out your old sweats, get your heart rate pumping and face summer fearlessly.
Work it, girl!
Yesterday the tarte team got a nice surprise package from Water Bobble! The company, who’s mission is to make clean water portable while helping to eliminate plastic water bottle waste, sent over a big box of their innovative and beautifully designed reusable, water filtering bottles. The bobble’s filters are replaceable, but each one equates to 300 single-serve bottles. Yeah, that’s a lot of bottles.
Both functional and attractive, we’re psyched to test out our new bobbles. Thanks Water Bobble, you truly do make water better!
As our online marketing manager, Staci is all business. Part number cruncher, part saleswomen, she’s tasked with getting our products in to the hands of tartelettes across the nation. She also has a creative streak and an appreciation for beauty, like everyone in the tarte office. We stopped by her desk to see what she needs within arms reach on the daily.
- Flowers: “This gorgeous arrangement was a surprise delivery. It definitely added the perfect pop of color on an rainy spring day.”
- Family photos: “I love photos — here’s one of my best girlfriends from growing up; another of me, my mom and my sister; and a bunch of my bulldog, Charley. Oh, and in case you’re wondering, I don’t surf, I just love the beach!”
- Go orange card: “I graduated from Syracuse — Go Orange!”
- Calculator: “I rely on my calculator — there’s never a day that I’m not crunching numbers.”
- Hand sanitizer: “I may have been called germ-a-phobic once or twice in my life…but hey, we live in NYC, hand sanitizer is essential post-subway.”
- LipSurgence™ lip tint: “My fave shade this spring is charmed. It’s the perfect shade of pink for my complexion.”
- Julep Nail Care: “My cousin turned me on to Julep for nail care. This growth serum is amazing!”
- tarte check stain and a photo of her boyfriend and dog: “I use true love cheek stain on a daily basis…how ironic that it’s placed right next to a picture of my boyfriend, Andrew, and our dog, Charley.”
- iPhone: “Whether I’m updating tarte.com on the go, or just staying in touch, this phone is a must-have for me.”
- maracuja divine shine lip gloss: “One of my coworkers turned me on to the layering look – I use LipSurgence™ lip tint in charmed and then layer it with maracuja divine shine for an ultra-glossy smile.”
H2O is the most important part of any weight-loss plan. Since water makes up about 80 percent of your blood and brain, it is vitally important to good health — plus, it can help beat bloating. Thirst is commonly mistaken for hunger, so staying hydrated will keep you from overeating.
green tea, please
Switch out your coffee for a cup of green tea. Green tea naturally boosts metabolism and may even aid in weight loss. Filled with antioxidants, this little tea bag can keep you healthy and trim.
Always choose salad when you can! If you know you’ll be indulging in a high calorie meal, try filling up on the salad course first to help cut your intake of richer foods.
Not just a delicious comfort food, soups are also a healthy diet option. Dieters who chose soup as a snack before lunch consumed, on average, 100 fewer calories per day than others.
Whole grains are filled with fiber, which is key to maintaining a healthy weight — it can even help you shed some. Whole grains take longer to digest and absorb, which will make you feel full longer, they also work to increase your metabolism.
Eating protein can help you lose fat and build lean muscle tissue. Meat eaters your best option is lean turkey, while vegetarians should choose beans, lentils, and nuts.
Oatmeal is your friend! Steel cut or rolled oatmeal contains vitamins, minerals and fiber. Translation: you’ll stay full, consume your daily does of vitamins and minerals, and, you know, be regular.
Who doesn’t love a fruit salad or veggie platter?
Filled with soluble and insoluble fiber, fruits and vegetables are a super fat-burning foods. So fill up on as much as you want of them without guilt or remorse. Now that second trip to the fruit salad doesn’t sound like a bad idea after all!
Grapefruit is packed with vitamin C which can help reduce insulin levels, this promotes weight loss. And they’re delicious — like a desert you can consume any time of the day!
This week we’re scoping out Celeste’s space. She’s tarte’s retail operations and logistics associate — she makes sure that the right products make it into the right hands at exactly the right time.
Aside from being a logistical mastermind, she’s a true girly-girly and genuine southern belle. Need proof, just check out her desk:
2. Press hits: “I love seeing our products in beauty and fashion magazines — my friends text me saying tarte is everywhere this month!”
3. Family picture: “This my dad and me at the Swan Ball. I’m a Nashville native; I miss home all the time.”
4. Inspiration Board: “I keep folders of images that I love and occasionally print out a particularly spectacular one to add to my collection.”
5. A print out of a portrait of her grandmother Celeste Casey Reed: “‘Cecy’ was one of the most amazing women I have ever known. She looks so elegant and glamorous here — Ann Street of Nashville did this portrait.”
6. Flash drives: “Remember that famous Sex and the City conversation ‘When was the last time you backed up?’ I save everything important on flash drives, it’s too easy to lose things these days.”
7. tarte picture perfect™ eyelash curler: “I can’t use any other curler. This one is the best.”
8. Sparkling water or seltzer: “This is a must have for me. I love to add lemons to regular seltzer or just buy the flavored ones. They’re refreshing and delicious.”
9. A wooden lady bug: “Whenever some of the tarte team goes on business aboard, they’ll bring us back souvenirs. This lady bug was part of a little paper holder that said ‘you smell’ – typical professional behavior! I think its been on my keyboard for 4 years now.”
What’s on your desk?
Click on Maureen’s note to visit our Mother’s Day beauty gift guide, then use code MOM15 to get 15% off your order.
When you’re trying to maintain an earth-friendly lifestyle, some areas are harder to fulfill than others. We would argue that perfume is actually the easiest of all. Many mainstream perfumeries are starting to focus on organic and non-animal ingredients, while other smaller companies have made it their mission to only use plants whose farming won’t endanger the environment. Check out some of our favorite eco-conscious perfume brands below.
With scents this lovely, there’s no reason not to go green.
Lush makes a wide range of pretty scents from organic ingredients and safe synthetics, and, as always, never test on animals. Try Cocktail, a pretty floral.
RH’s products are 100% natural and made from organically-farmed flowers in small batches – truly the embodiment of eco-friendly fashion. Try Devotion, a sexy combination of French lemon and Moroccan verveine.
Surfer Brook Taylor loves the earth – so when she decided to make a scent, she made it her priority to honor it. All of her fragrances adhere to strict IFRA regulations and are made from plants that are not endangered. Plus, they smell gorgeous – try Tahitian Gardenia.
tartelettes, if there’s one thing I’ve learned while planning my wedding, it’s that this industry loves excess.
Back in the day, brides just had to pick a place, hire a photographer, get a DJ, and find a dress. Now, with bridal blogs aplenty, the minutiae of wedding planning is never-ending; there are about a million ways to personalize your nuptials, from monogrammed napkins to hot-air balloon rides for your guests. Frankly, the possibilities are exhausting – and, oftentimes, wasteful in terms of both expense and the earth. It shouldn’t be surprising that I’ve blocked those sites from my browser until after my wedding.
But there is one thing that I am happy I learned while obsessively poring through the blogs: all the eco-friendly alternatives to normal bridal traditions that are gaining popularity as the DIY and green movements have become mainstream. Here are a few ways to put a green stamp on your wedding while still making it beautiful.
1. The dress
The dress can be one of the biggest single expenses of a wedding – and one of the most important. After all, your wedding will likely be the most photographed day of your life! Every bride wants to look and feel stunning – and you can do so while still maintaining your green sensibility. For those who don’t care to buy new, there are now tons of outlets specializing in used or upcycled dresses. Think about it: a gently-used designer wedding dress, for a fraction of the original price! Good for the earth, and your wallet.
Flowers can be a huge cause of consternation for any eco-conscious bride. There’s the waste, the questionable sourcing, the concerns over the welfare of the growers. One solution, of course, is to go local: there are now florists who grow their own flowers and only use what’s in season.
You could also opt for the fake kind, or go DIY and make some sweet paper buds. These can be gorgeous as boutonnières, bouquets, or even centerpieces.
Another option is to forgo florals completely, and use alternative decorations. For my wedding, I’m going for a glow-y, Great Gatsby-esque feel, which means lots of candles and lanterns – and very few flowers.
So much paper – so much waste! You have to get the word out somehow, though, so here are two good green options. In our Internet-dominated world, it’s becoming more accepted for modern couples to send out e-invites for their wedding. Paperless Post has gorgeous options for all sorts of tastes (from quirky to sophisticated), and the website even mimics the process of opening an actual envelope.
For those who can’t stand the thought of not sending out a physical invite, recycled options abound. There’s also my favorite green invite choice: seed-seed infused paper (Botanical Paperworks is one purveyor) that recipients can plant.
Did you incorporate
Last night we had the pleasure of hosting a screening of L!fe Happens, a hilarious new comedy written and starring one of our favorite Hollywood up-and-comers, Krysten Ritter. The film is the product of a collaboration between Ritter and one of her best friends Kat Coiro, and was cast and staffed with some of Ritter’s most-talented nearest and dearest, including celebrity makeup artist Amy Nadine.
Nadine, a long time tarte fan — so is Ritter! — used our LipSurgence™ lip tints in every scene!
To celebrate the film’s premiere, we invited a group of beauty bloggers to join us for the screening, which included a Q&A with Ritter and Nadine!
Get tweeting tartelettes and good luck!
In the realm of eco-friendly clothing, some items are more challenging to find than others — shoes are the toughest. But amidst an oceans’ worth of hippie-mom clogs and straw flip flops, we’ve found a few brands of vegan shoes that are nice to the planet and nice-looking on your feet. Here are four that we love.
Stella’s an edgy designer, and champion of animals, a rarity in the mainstream fashion industry. Her shoes combine synthetic materials with high-fashion design – a combination that makes us very happy.
This UK brand lives up to their tagline, “Fashion with compassion,” by using high-quality materials that always promise to be “better than leather.”
This brand puts out a host of trendy silhouettes (gladiator sandals! wedges! oxfords!) in synthetic materials – and more are very budget-friendly. If you want to splurge, there’s the occasional designer collaboration, such as these booties by Olsen Haus.