Posts tagged go green
– 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed (can be bought at an organic grocery or health food store)
– ¼ cup raw cashews, soaked for several hours to soften
– 1 red bell pepper
– 1 tbsp curry powder
– ½ tsp cumin
– 1 tsp sea salt
– 1 clove garlic, chopped
– ¼ sweet onion, chopped
– ½ tbsp nutritional yeast (optional, a vegan way to add a “cheesy” flavor)
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- To de-stem your kale, pull all of the wide, leafy green parts off of the thick stalks. Place all of these in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Blend all of your ingredients, beginning with the cashews, until a thick “paste” has formed. If you do not have a blender, you can use unsalted cashew butter and mix the remaining ingredients by hand.
- “Massage” the paste onto your kale. Take a small amount of the paste into your hands and coat each piece of kale. Continue until all pieces are lightly coated in the paste. This is not as time-consuming as it sounds, I promise!
- Here is the tricky part: figuring out how long to leave in your kale. Start by seeing how the kale looks after 10 minutes. If the paste looks slightly cooked through and the kale looks crunchy, flip and bake for another 10 minutes. If the paste has not cooked, allow them to bake on the first side for another 10 minutes, then flip and bake until done. Once you figure out this timing, you will know how long it takes for your latter batches.
- Allow the kale chips to cool, and then devour! Make your office-mates green (literally!) with envy.
How do you snack healthy?
At tarte we’re always trying to reduce our carbon footprint. In celebration of Earth Month, we wanted to tell you about some of our favorite brands that are also consciously helping to save our beautiful planet! Green, natural, sustainable & even vegan choices are easier and easier to come by these days & I’m not talking about itchy hemp & recycled plastic cola bottles (though some innovatively use that in their packaging). I chose glam gems, silk rompers and luxe beauty items that all have an environmental mission. This April (and the other 11 months of the year) we encourage you to be eco-chic by making eco-conscious choices.
tarte’s lash hugger eco-friendly natural mascara: A natural mascara housed in a metalized tube composed of post-consumer recycled aluminum.
Gemma Redux Natalie Necklace: made from reclaimed vintage brass chains with reclaimed smokey chandelier crystals.
Davines: quality hair care products created from high-grade natural ingredients, using only renewable energy
Matt & Nat Chip Nappa Wallet: 100% recycled and made of vegan leather
Sparitual: vegan nail lacquers in trendy-worthy shades
Edun Ziggy one piece: all Edun products invest in the development of a community-based value chain
The tarte team kicked-off Earth Month by celebrating our collaboration with Celebrity Makeup Artist and Green Beauty Expert, Tina Turnbow. The ‘Go Gorgeously Green’ event was held all day on Friday at Sephora 42nd & Madison, NYC. Using her tarte flower child collection, Tina gave gorgeous spring makeovers and provided customers with her expert tips and tricks from bridal beauty to an eco-friendly alternative for a smokey eye. Everyone had a great time & here are the pics to prove it. Follow tarte on Twitter and Facebook for regular event updates—we hope to see you at the next one!